Annoying automatic creation of locked files

Here’s something that was happening a few years ago, mercifully stopped by itself, and suddenly is happening again: Each time I create a .doc file or save revisions to an existing file, a second separate locked file is created. And sometimes that’s the one that’s opened later, requiring me to manually delete it. How do I stop this from happening?

There may be a simple explanation related to your system and directory permissions. What is your OS? Do you save in your home directory (and its subdirectories) or somewhere else (a common directory to several users, a file server, …)?

BlebNevus,

The second locked file remain there when you close LibreOffice?

Hello,

Go to Tools -> Options -> LibreOffice -> Advanced -> Button: Open Expert Configuration, type UseLocking into the Search field, click the search button and set org.openoffice.Office.Common | Misc | UseLocking to false

(though I won’t recommend to do so)

Hope that helps.

If the answer helped to solve your problem, please click the check mark (:heavy_check_mark:) next to the answer.

Thanks for this suggestion. May I ask WHY you wouldn’t recommend doing this?

Sure - creating a lock file prevents your file being opened for write access a second, third … time. And, depending on your environment (I don’t know anything about it), this might result in inadvertently overwriting content already saved from another instance. In addition, I never would bypass a measure which puts my attention to something which is failing right now or has failed in the past. What annoys you in fact is a hint, which makes you aware something went wrong in the past - you may have had a computer crash, loss in network connectivity, LibreOffice crash and if you prevent the reminder to appear, the status (incl. content) might not be the one you expect to be there.