Any way to reattach the menu bar to the top of the screen (like in 4.2)?

Operating system— Ubuntu 14.04 (64-bit).

Libreoffice version— currently 4.4.

Hi, I just found out today that I didn’t have the latest version of Libreoffice— I was apparently still using 4.2, which I got when I first installed my current OS— when I discovered to my horror that 4.2 has a bug in Writer that causes page numbers to randomly get reset to 0, midway through a document. I uninstalled 4.2, went to the Libreoffice site, and first installed 5.0, then uninstalled it and tried 4.4, only to discover that they both use an updated menu bar that is detached from the top of the screen.

This isn’t a huge problem for me; there is one other program I use – Wolfram Mathematica – that has a detached menu bar like that, so it’s not like it’s something I couldn’t get used to. But if there’s any way to reattach it, like it was in 4.2, I’d really prefer that.

Does anyone know of a way to do this?

Upgrade to 5.0.0 (bit-for-bit identical with 5.0.0 RC5). Ubuntu command for Fresh, stable versions that are the result of RCs; be noted that the repos don’t waste on serving the Fresh version that is result of last RC, like 5.0.0 is same as 5.0.0 RC5, evident from the DEB filenames: §sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libreoffice/ppa§. Pre-releases command, I’ve never had issues with LO pre-releases: §sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libreoffice/libreoffice-prereleases§.

The problem exists in both 4.4 and 5.0. I tried 5.0 first, saw the problem, then switched to 4.4, and saw that it also had the same problem.

I have no idea what you are talking about. I’ve currently got both 4.4.4.3 & 5.0.0.5 installed under Debian, and both have their menu bar next to the top of the Window, in what I think of as the ‘normal’ manner.

Will you attach a screen-shot, please?

(later update):

Here is a snippet of Firefox-39.0.3 (base) + GIMP (above):

image description

…and LO-5.0.0.5:

image description

You may therefore agree that, from my point of view, there is zero difference between LO & other progs on my system.

Part of any difference may depend on the Windowing system (there are actually 3 that may be in control for me) & setup for the active Window.

I appreciate that YMMV.

This is what the Libreoffice Writer menu bar looks like, in both 4.4 and 5.0. Notice that it is detached from the top of the screen.

This is what Firefox’s menu bar looks like, and what Libreoffice Writer’s menu bar used to look like back in 4.2, and what every menu bar for every other program on my computer except Wolfram Mathematica looks like. I want the menu bar to look like this.

You have installed LO using .deb that you downloaded from Libreoffice site. Deb does not provide the Ubuntu-centric features, like the menu bar integration. So, please use the official PPA.

sudo apt-get purge libreoffice-core

sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:libreoffice/ppa

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install libreoffice

Sorry for the late response, but this worked perfectly. Thank you!