API Link to Forex Cross Rate connects and presumably gathers data but no sign of the output

Hi there,
I have the following formula in B3 =WEBSERVICE(D2) and the obfuscated contents of D2 are;
https://marketdata.tradermade.com/api/v1/live?currency=GBPSEK&api_key=5p**************r3Z
Excel simply provides me with the result in B3 which I then parse and action as appropriate.
Libre is obviously executing the call because it impacts my usage at the service but there’s no sign of the output.
Any ideas where the data could be hidden?

You didn’t mention your version, but there was a recent change of the library used for HTTP, and then there were some cases when web servers started to reject our request because they disliked the agent, which caused us to use fake user agent string.

Version: 7.3.4.2 (x64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 728fec16bd5f605073805c3c9e7c4212a0120dc5
CPU threads: 4; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 19043; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: sv-SE (en_GB); UI: en-GB
Calc: threaded

Even more intriguing is that I can analyse the Excel response in excel, formulate the manipulation and then simply copy the formula to the same location in LO and it appears to find the “invisible string” and manipulate it

Also just discovered that if I copy B3, and paste special “unformatted text”, I get the JSON response in the target cell.
ADDED:
My experiments were in a sandboxed copy of the genuine sheet and again, copying the ranges from the copy to the genuine sheet exposes the JSON.
Would that be a reportable observation for the developers?

Maybe the result begins or ends with some empty lines, and the row is narrow to only show one empty line of the result? Which would mean that making the row taller would show the expected result?

1 Like

@mikekaganski [quote=“mikekaganski, post:5, topic:80616”]
Which would mean that making the row taller would show the expected result?
[/quote]
Spot on - the voice of experience.

I was misled by the fact that the initial Excel response is on one line overflowing into the adjacent columns. Looking carefully I see I can just observe the top of the first curly bracket in the observable cell. :man_facepalming: