Apply a uniform style

The body text and headings in my document look different from paragraph to paragraph. How can I apply a uniform style without violating the hierarchy of the headings?

Select your text and then click Format > Clear Direct Formatting or Ctrl+M.

When pasting from other sources either paste as unformatted text, or clear the direct formatting after pasting.

Check what styles you are using in you document by selecting the Styles pane in the Sidebar and set the filter at the bottom to Applied styles

2 Likes

Your approach should be perfect.

Unless you inserted text that is formatted. Then you are using the wrong insertion routine. You can use @EarnestAl 's suggestion afterwards. To insert unformatted text, press Ctrl+Shift+V.

1 Like

Very similar question asked here where OP also mentioned

due to the copypasing (sic) from other documents.

1 Like

Yes, that’s me too. Because the forum here banned me immediately after I registered.
But the feedback so far has not been entirely satisfactory.

Wouldn’t clearing the direct formatting violate the hierarchy of the headings? I would like to keep the structures of the text sections:

, but automatically align the font properties for each header and body text throughout the document

Ctrl+M removes direct formatting and returns text to its defined styles. Body Text remains Body Text and Heading n remains Heading n.

I suggested to filter to Applied styles as you can unexpectedly paste new styles from other sources that are not wanted and won’t be affected by Ctrl+M. Click in a paragraph with an unwanted style and then double click the desired paragraph style in the Styles pane in the Sidebar.

If the document is entirely Direct Formatted then the best way is to go through and assign the appropriate Heading style for each heading and then remove the direct formatting.

Also see the Writer Guide, https://documentation.libreoffice.org/en/english-documentation/

2 Likes

Thank you very much for the detailed answer. I had probably not fully understood it before. I guess that settles the issue then.