Asian(Korean) Word Editing Issue at Writer

Since I am using English and Korean at the same time, I found it is the issue only found when I am typing Korean.

Take a line of words you are typing.
So you typed through the end of the line and you found there is a typo at the beginning of the line.
So you click the cursor at the beginning where you want to insert a new word.
But the word you newly typed in is not there but going into the end of the line where you left with.

For Example,

많은 시간과 토론을 투자 : you typed one line and want to add a word(는) at the beginning of the line

는많은 시간과 토론을 투자 : you expect

많은 시간과 토론을 투자는 : Result is

I think the reason is when I am typing Korean, the Libreoffice automatically selects the last Korean word typed.

PS: I am using mac so not sure about other OS does the same.

thanks oweng but that’s not working…

Is FDO#48343 related? Here, under Format > Paragraph… > Asian Typography tab, I have all three Line change options checked.

@oweng - I had a look at the bug you mentioned but I am really sure if the problem is related. In respect to the bug I made a test with Japanese but could not see the bug.

Tools > Options… > Language settings > Complex text layout > Cursor control try changing the selection from “Logical” to “Visual”. That option may help if you are making use of bi-directional text features.

IMHO @kdoodoo observed a bug I am also seeing in English. Sometimes the same happens typically, but not necessarily always, after a copy&paste action. In this case the non-printing character for carriage return appears at the left side outside the left side border line. Selection of the strange behaving text and ctrl+m solved so far the problem. However, I could not really reproduce the error and thus could not report.

Reading @kdoodoo’s explanations it seems that he can reproduce the error.

@kdoodoo - could you please file a bug report? If possible please make a link to this question here so the QA guys see that there is also a bug in English. Posting the link to the bug here would enable others to add comments to your bug report.

LibO Version 3.6.5.2 (Build ID: 5b93205)
XP Prof / SP3; Asian language support package installed

@ROSt53 I will defer to you for this one. My answer was the only thing I could think of. I use bi-directional text settings on occasion but do not make use of the related text input. I have read elsewhere about the copy / paste issue you mention (but usually in bi-di contexts). Like you, not sure if that is related or not. I am out of ideas.

@oweng - please stay tuned. You are really an LibO expert! I just saw that @kdoodoo observed the same(?) bug as I did in English. I haven’t seen the bug yet in Japanese, my second most often used language. What does bi-directional context actually mean? I search the help wiki but did not find the answer.

I just hope I can reproduce the bug in English soon.

@ROSt53, I will look into this further. My initial answer was wrong as Korean is left-to-right (LTR) when set horizontally, and the Complex Text Layour (CTL) options really only apply to right-to-left (RTL) scripts e.g., Arabic, Hebrew, etc. I thought the text may have directional formatting codes: UAX #9: Unicode Bidirectional Algorithm I now agree it more likely to relate to the text input method (or en/ko mixture thereof) and be a bug in LO.

@owen - Thanks for the link - this bi-di stuff looks pretty complex.
Korean belongs to the Asian group of languages including beside Korean, Japanese and 6 versions of Chinese. I don’t know if you can see it but in tools / options / languages /… I can see Western, Asian, and CTL. I might see Asian languages only due to the installation of Japanese.

I am now curious about @kdoodoo’s reply.