attempting to delete page break crashes writer

In my libreoffice writer document, there’s a manual page break I need to delete, but every time I try, libreoffice crashes. I’ve tried back space and the delete button. I’ve searched the web and cannot find any answers. I’m using version ( on Windows 10 home edition.

A file is needed to attempt to help…

Also, what is the file format?

Sorry for the delay…
The file format is .odt
I don’t get any errors, libreoffice just crashes when I try to delete the page break.
The manual page break is needed to change the page style.

I didn’t want to attach the file because it’s the final draft of my 3rd novel. So I condensed it to 4 pages to attach, but the problem went away and I was able to delete the manual page break. I suspected that it’s related to the file size (583 pages) and my computer can’t reorder the two-page book layout because of all the different page styles. But this shouldn’t be a problem because I can delete all other page breaks with only a minor delay in the page reordering.

I suspect it needed more memory allocation, but all the help online is for older libreoffice versions that allow you to increase the ram allocation. I did change the “cache” setting for “writer” from the tools/options/advanced then expert configuration, the value was 20, I changed to 200. Still didn’t help.

I copied the chapter after the page break, and pasted as unformatted text to make a duplicate chapter (but with the correct page break). I renamed the original chapter as corrupted, then deleted it paragraph by paragraph (backspaced…) and when the corrupted chapter was all deleted, I was able to delete the page wrong break.
So I eliminated that problem, but when I tried to reformat the chapter again, I applied one specific paragraph style and it caused libreoffice to crash…so it has something to do with this paragraphs style or that’s a separate issue. I can work around this one though and not use it or try to recreate it.

That is unfortunate decision - not to file the bug. Good that you found a workaround suitable for you; yet, you found some combination that crashes Writer; and you likely can provide something to reproduce - a great thing! many users can’t; and those users would be still hit by the unfixed bug - because no one who can reproduce it had provided a reproducer to developers.

In my experience, Apache OpenOffice is much more stable when working with large files. Install it and try it as an option to open problem files.

I still have a copy of the ‘corrupted’ file, so I will try to figure out how to “file the bug”. I may try OpenOffice if I have any more problems.