Autocorrect not working for quotation marks

I want to replace all [ ". ] with [ ." ]
Which would replace, e.g.: "Hello". (UK style) with "Hello." (US style)

The autocorrect replace box allows me to input these characters, but does not replace them when I press apply, or test it.
I tested other things, and found the function works fine for custom replacements, except for when they include quotation marks.

I further found myself unable to use the find function for quotation marks. I managed to fix this by using inserting quotation mark using Ctrl-Shift-U followed by the unicode digits 201C or 201D.

I then applied this same input method in the autocorrect box. It works if I apply the same input method in the text, but it does not replace the pre-existing instances of [ ". ]

I finally tried copying an instance of [ ". ] and pasting into the autocorrect replacement box, but applying it didn’t replace that very same instance from which I copied from. Yet, when I typed it out, it worked.

I’m not sure if it’s just extremely buggy, or if there is something I can do to fix this?

OS = Linux Mint. Tested on both System package and most recent Flatpack.

[LeroyG added preformatted text to the text samples.]

If I copy the .” from your “Hello”. text and enter it in the find field, then paste .” in the Replace field and click Replace All button, it works; it changes “Hello”. to “Hello.” and the other words I put quotation marks around.

Note that you have the wrong quotation mark (opening not closing) in your question, this might have been caused by the discourse formatting.

I think you needed to paste it into the Find field not the Replace field.

Note that the question actually contains only U+0022 " QUOTATION MARK characters, it’s only the rendering here that changes them to U+201C LEFT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK and U+201D RIGHT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK and that may even be UI language dependent.

So, the issue is not with curly & neutral quotes, but if quotes are before or after the point.

AutoCorrect
imagen
This way it works when a space or Enter is added while typing, but not with Tools - AutoCorrect - Apply.

Tested with versions 7.5.9.2 and 24.2.0.3.

Got it working. I can find by copying an instance of [ ". ] and inserting it into the find box. I can replace by inserting a full stop before the quotation mark, deleting the full stop after, and copying both characters and pasting into the replace box. It then successfully replaced all other instances. Same for [ ", ] , [ '. ] and [ ', ] .

As the responses indicate, the key is to use the right (‘after’ ‘curly’) character.