Autocorrect suddenly stopped working

When I type into Libre Office Writer the Auto Correct does not work. So, if I forget to begin a sentence with a capital letter, Writer does not do that for me. If I type the word ‘i’, Writer leaves it like that, rather than changing it to ‘I’.

If I look at ‘Tools’ I see that Auto Correct is checked - and if I look at the Auto Correct Options, everything is as I would expect.

I imagine that sometime recently I may have fat-fingered Ctrl-something instead of Shift-something - but there are rather a lot of possibilities to try to see if I can back out that way.

Check the language of the text. Autocorrect options are (mostly) language-specific.

The Document and Auto Correct Options are BOTH set to English (UK)

My Libre Office was updated to on 30th January - and I believe that Auto Correct still worked OK after that.

I see that this is a known regression.
I shall wait, expectantly, for a resolution.

This isn’t answer. Please click on the more link (at the bottom right of your “answer”) and click Repost as comment

Or is your (unknown, see Ask/Getting started) operating system Arch Linux, in which case tdf#140445

In case it makes a difference, I am using Libre Office running on Fedora 32 (Cinnamon).

I had marked it as ‘Answered’ because I didn’t expect anyone to be able to come up with some usable workaround or cure, now that I know this is a (I hope) temporary ‘feature’.

The only workarounds I am aware of are a) type everything correctly in the first place OR b) press Newline after every word. I would rather that Auto Correct work according to the spec.

Libre Office has just updated on my PC to version and I see that Auto Correct now appears to work.

I did one test. I typed ‘21st’ and when I pressed the space-bar the ‘st’ went to ‘superscript’ like it used to. From that, I assume that all of Auto Correct is now working.

Subsequent usage has shown that ‘i’ gets changed to ‘I’ and other Auto Correct features also appear to work.

I cannot remember where it was that I saw that Auto Correct had ‘regressed’

To make this message an actual answer (something helping to handle the issue), please:
-1- Name explicitly the version showing the regression.
-2- Link to the related bug report you found (as mentioned in one of your comments above).
-3- Name explicitly the bug-fixed version you now are using.

In addition: Also report whether or not the originally mentioned issue (missing capitalisation of the first word of a sentence while typing) is resolved with the new version. The presentation of ordinals isn’t controlled by Options, but by Loacised Options of AutoCorrect.

(Another unsolicited suggestion: Support modernisation of English by a better way of presenting ordinal numbers. 1000001st;1000002nd; 1000003rd ; 1000004th is simply a “counter-logical” mess, and to do it by direct formatting due to missing unicode representation is an extra.)

If you update an answer, you should probably consider already posted comments. If the edited version dosn’t clearly show what was changed, anything based on the original or previous version may look rather silly.