AutoInput: how to increase number of cells above to be scanned

So far I have been entering data into a column of roughly 1,000 rows. Since Tools>AutoInput is turned ON, I can use this function to complete entries.

However, the fact that AutoInput does not scan entries up to more than 200 different strings seriously limits the usefulness of this function.

Is there a way to cause AutoInput to (significantly) increase this number, or is there a workaround to the same effect?

The limit is not configurable, but 7.2 has the limit removed.

2 Likes

Yes indeed (сhecked on a set of 1500 unique records). I checked it on version 7.0, and did not recheck on version 7.2, but I believed the documentation. The documentation requires a fix. My answer is helpful anyway.

Edit:
It doesn’t always work. Cyrillic. It was not possible to guess the behavior.
Version: 7.2.0.4 / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: fa0a9af5681a0acc7909a705f92c1ada8a658552
CPU threads: 8; OS: Linux 4.15; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3
Locale: ru-RU (ru_RU.UTF-8); UI: en-US
Calc: threaded

No, it works. It was just that the automatic input required more characters to be entered to ensure the uniqueness of the substring.

Try this:

1. Open the list by pressing Alt+↓ (Down Arrow).
  2. Start typing the first characters of the word you want. The selection in the expanded list will jump according to the input criteria (an unobvious moment). NOTE: If there is a long input delay, the search will be reset from the beginning. You can also change the selection by pressing the up or down arrow keys (taking into account the characters already entered).
  3. Complete the input by pressing Enter.

Alt+↓ (Down Arrow)
Opens a drop-down list with all column items. Close the opened list by pressing the Escape key.
In 7.2 you see what you enter, but in 7.0 you don’t.

3 Likes

It’s a good answer, but it doesn’t answer the question ; )

Thank you. Using the Down Arrow key does help. I’ve now installed LO 7.2 and the limit is removed indeed! After entering the first unique character of a string, the cell is autocompleted.