Automatic updates have been disabled

At the top of the page i am getting a yellow banner “Automatic updates have been disabled”.
I suspect this ocurred since I copied in a sheet from another spreadsheet (using the sheet tag). Thanks to @EarnestAl for the information on how to do this.
When I click the “Alllow updates” button the message disappears.
However, after saving and closing the spreadsheet the message reappears when I reopen the spreadsheet.

Most likely, the copied sheet contains formulas that refer to other sheets in the original spreadsheet. When a sheet is copied, these formulas now contain references to the original data in the form 'file:///path/Filename.ods'#$SheetName.A1:C7.
If you want to break the link with the original workbook, you can, for example, copy the entire contents of the worksheet and immediately paste it back as values. This will “kill” all the formulas on the sheet and the message will stop appearing. If you want to keep the formulas “live”, then find all the cells that contain the word File in the formula and change each of them manually.

Also, can use Search&Replace to clear the reference to the source file,
replacing ‘file:///path/Filename.ods’# for nothing

Hello @JohnSUN

Thanks for your prompt and relevant reply.

You are quite right.
Some of the columns in the ‘imported’ sheet referenced an old spreadsheet. I replaced the formula in the top cell of the offending columns and dragged down.
The error message has now diaappeared.

THIS IS THE BEST FORUM.
Whenever I post a problem, someone offers a solution within a few hours.
This prompts me to make another donation to the LibreOffice foundation.
Who needs MS Office? The LibreOffice suite of progammes, Including Draw, does everything you want.

Thank again and kind regards.

1 Like