Autosave including undoinformation

When using autosave LO should kip a file at the same directory (maybe hidden) which can keep tab of undo history.
And if such thing can exist, maybe add a “hold” function, which is save current document for further work in another time, while saving is indestructive of at least part of your work.
in both cases I do believe a file would require more time to open, however, less misshapps will happen.

:slight_smile:

You can request for such kind of implementation on https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/enter_bug.cgi

What you have now are two options:

• File versions, after first save of one file, you can activate it on Menu/File/Version.
  • Keep track of the changes, you can activate it on Menu/Edit/Track changes.

I think it covers enough what you want.

Well, about the autosave, I actually found a LO Basic script to save if changes were made, and changed it to my liking so now I can activate the script while working and the autosave does its work. I will try and post the final script at a later time.
“Track changes” is a nice feature to use as a workearound for my hold feature request, however it’s kind of a hassle, since it fills the screen with unneeded information.

There is an option to show/hide the changes.

Look, I will close this, but just as a theoretic exercise: think of a case in which you work at your office on something and forced to shutdown for whatever reason (e.g. if you’re a Windows user and have updates running, by force push from the Administrator)… A “hold” option would still (so I think) be more practical so that when you restart you PC you can continue working while still keeping your previous train of thought…

Link to forum post with said macro
As promised…
I just added a recursive:

Wait 600000

AutomaticBackup

Before the
End Sub
of the AutomaticBackup sub to rerun the entire code in 10 mins…

@alonbr If you want this process automated, it has been enhanced in this post. Also in this post in my answer are methods for directories to save in and if wanted limiting the number of saved copies.