I often want to use Writer to produce a PDF document with black text on a tinted background – the reduced contrast seems to help legibility for those with some kinds of eye problems. And, for producing a PDF to show off photos which demand a dark background mount.
The following seems to work in Writer, adding background colour up to the page edges. I don’t know if it can be used in the other LO applications.
Go to: “Format” > “Page” and using this-
- Select “Page” tab. Set all margins to 0;
- Select “Area” tab (click YES when warned about printer margins). Select your desired background colour.
- Select “Borders” tab.
- Select “Line Arrangement – Set all Four Borders” (second option from the left under. “Default”) with a solid border line
- Set line “Colour” to exactly the same as the background selected for the area fill;
- Set “Spacing to Contents” to your desired page margins (say 0.5 ins);
7 Click on the “Apply” button, the “OK”.
I always feel doing this means I am not using LO as its designers intend and would like to suggest to them that the user need is a common enough for something better to be officially built into the application or at least covered in the manual. But thus far I fear I have been unable to follow the instructions for putting suggestions forward – due to my failure to learn the language of IT I am sure.
I hope this works for you.