background images in impress cause slow performance

After adding 5 Master Slides with anywhere from 2-to-5 .png images as background, Impress has become effectively unusable due to slow performance. What’s the fix here? Under a time crunch. Thanks in advance.

LinuxMint Serena 18.1
DELL Latitude E6500 with loads of RAM (?)
Was working just fine BEFORE adding/editing Master Slides.

Version: 6.0.5.2
Build ID: 1:6.0.5~rc2-0ubuntu0.16.04.1~lo1
CPU threads: 2; OS: Linux 4.4; UI render: default; VCL: x11;
Locale: en-CA (en_CA.UTF-8); Calc: group

How big are these images?

• pixel dimensions
  • file size

I have today also encountered this issue. Wanted to put a different background on each slide. Images are ~1700x1050 pixels, each is about 600kB, format is JPG. First 10 or so slides were fine. Saved file and came back to add more slides (with unique backgrounds). Things have slowed to the point of being unusable. For each slide, I’ve turned off “AutoFit”, and explicitly set Width to 30cm, and height to 21cm (slightly cropped by slide area, but better matches image aspect ratio) using the “Background” tab “Format Slide” dialog (titled “Page Setup”).

I’m using Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia, running kernel 4.15.0-128-generic. Running Libre Office 5 (Version: 5.1.6.2 Build ID: 1:5.1.6~rc2-0ubuntu1~xenial10 CPU Threads: 4; OS Version: Linux 4.15; UI Render: default; Locale: en-AU (en_AU.UTF-8); Calc: group). Machine is Intel(R) Core™ i5-7400 CPU @ 3.00GHz (quad core), 16GB RAM (11GB free).

Just a bit of clarification on the context for this scenario. The images are screen shots to be referenced by the content / text on the slide.

I think this could be closed now. The solution(s) offered in “Images slow down performace [closed]” (Images slow down performace) helped a bit. I found a better solution however.

Instead of setting the background image for each slide, I used the Insert → Image instead. I then resized and positioned the image and Arranged it to be on the lowest Z plane (Arrange → Send to Back). The image is cropped (automatically) to the slide page size when output - not really a WYSIWYG workflow, but workable.

Not sure why setting the images as slide backgrounds becomes so slow (maybe still a bug?), and it would be better if there was an option to crop the image to the slide size in the editor window, but at least this worked and allowed a reasonable work rate for generating the presentation.