Background thin strip

When I put text in a table row which has a background there is a thin strip of background above and below the text cell. How can I get rid of this?
202206.odt (67.7 KB)

Where should I look? Does the problem occur when you print? Or only on screen?

In the latter case, it may just be a consequence of View>Table Boundaries, a nice clue about the cell limits (which does not print). If you disable the clue, can you still see the “background strip”?

Right click in cell, Table Properties, Borders, Padding Top and Bottom set to 0cm

This sets only the distance between the usable area for contents and the cell boundary. Padding area takes the colour defined in Background tab. I wonder if OP thinks of the general application background (usually gray). Probably need more information.

Thanks, that works fine.

Another issue. The text aligns with the top of the cell, even though I select alignment, vertical, centred in and alignment, middle, in

In which cell(s)? Here with 7.3.3.2, cell content is centred vertically and horizontally. BUT, your sample file is plagued with direct formatting which defeats any setting in styles (DF has precedence over style). Also, don’t try to center horizontally with spaces; you become extremely vulnerable to edits.

Yes, you are right. I cleared direct formatting and wrote the text again, and it’s centred ok.
I use direct formatting a lot, too much I guess.
I needed the spaces to add some yellow background each side of the text. It worked ok on the left side but the spaces at the right side don’t fill in with the yellow. I got round that by inserting at the end of the text a “phantom” character - ie coloured with the background colour.
202206.odt (67.9 KB)

Set the Character Highlighting Color to none.
Set the Paragraph Area Color to yellow.
Set the Paragraph Indents Before and After text to 7 cm or so.

Page orientation and bottom margin, and table1 position were changed.
202206_LeroyG.odt (60.0 KB)

1 Like

Thanks, that works fine.

1 Like