Backspace doesn't work in Writer

I have tried re-downloading Libre Office and opening several different files. I have also checked the keyboard allocation (Backspace = backspace). When I press the backspace key, it deletes one character only, no matter how many times I press it. I cannot backspace more than a single space.

How do I fix this?

This is a weird problem. It would help to know what operating system you are using and which version of LibreOffice is installed.

Hey, same problem here. It has been a while now. I’m on Manjaro and I need to downgrade the libreoffice version every time. I thought they would have fixed by now, but not lucky yet…

Turn off Track changes, Edit > Track changes > Record (Ctrl+Shift+C). If you want to track changes then delete forward or Ctrl+Backspace to delete whole word behind, or use Shift+Arrow keys or Ctrl+Shift+Arrow to select letters, or words, then backspace. Cheers, Al

That such a step is necessary means backspace (and/or Track Changes) is broken. This is a bug. Backspacing multiple characters with Track Changes on was possible before.

Yeah, it is a bug 135260 but easy to work around