Backup Embedded Firebird- like mysqldump

I’d really like to adopt LibreOffice with the embedded Firebird… but can find nothing on backup procedures. Hardly an “ad” for a serious database! Or maybe I’m just no good at searching.

I know I can do a variety of things… if I trust the software. I don’t. I’ve been using software generally since 1968.

In MySQL, there is the MySqldump command. It is a bit of a bear, but you can put the hard stuff in a batch file.

If you run that EVERYTHING I care about in the database you point it at is dumped into an UTF-8 file. You can read it with a text editor. Your data is there, in something like CSV format. The definitions of the tables are there… what the fields are, lengths, data tyopes, etc. Constraints. If, say, you have an Army personnel file with a name/serial number table, and a separate table with serial number/rank, you can put a constraint on the latter which won’t allow you to add a record with a serial number which isn’t present in the name/serial number table. And the existence of that constraint is there, in UTF-8, in the dump file.

So! What does Firebird offer for me? Is there at least a way to write the table specs and relationships (constraints) out to a file that can be read in a text editor? I can manage a report to “dump” the table’s data.

What backup does LO with Firebird offer as standard? (Apart from using OS tools to do a copy of the .odb file. I think you can see the unacceptable-to-me flaw in that “backup system”?) I DID TRY to RTFM… but if something so important is there, but hidden as well as it seems to me it is, it is another “strike” against something I really want to embrace. Have a look at my Open Office base tutorials page to see “where I’m coming from”, if wondering how serious I am.

Hello,

Firebird embedded database for LO is still in development. You cannot even create new Base files with Firebird embedded unless Enable experimental features is turned on (this noted as `may be unstable).

If there are items you are looking for which are not present, they can be submitted → Bugzilla.

BTW if I’m not wrong you only need to extract from the x.odb file the \database\firebird.fbk which is a backup of the embedded firebird database, done with the firebird backup tool ‘gbak’.

@mariosv,

You are correct in that the .fbk file is the backup form of the actual database and can be restored with gbak to a fully usable Firebird database. This can be extracted with a simple macro (or simple extraction of the zipped file).

The OP does seem to be looking for an SQL dump of which I do not know currently a method to do this from Base with Firebird embedded.

I didn’t try, but perhaps using fbexport as in [Export data from firebird into pure sql](http://kosiara87.blogspot.com/2011/03/export-data-from-firebird-into-pu re-sql.html) on the temporary file when database it’s open can do the job.

Sorry but the link states blog page does not exist. Have a page for fbexport. Will look at that later to see what can be done.

Forgive, FBexport page, and the other missing Bartosz Kosarzycki's blog: Export data from Firebird into pure SQL inserts/ export data from Firebird to MySQL

I’m sorry… am I being dim? I looked at the well presented information on FBexport at kosiara87.blogspot.com… but it only seemed capable of exporting a single table at a time. Is this the case? A splendid candle in the darkness, but hardly a “proper” solution to the need for backup.

For others on this quest… have a look at… this page at StackOverflow discussing Firebird backup tools. (Thank you riosv for pointing me to gbak, etc) I haven’t got to grips with it yet, but find it promising, at least! (^_^)

(After some study…) gbak looks very promising… but, if I understand this properly, it is a Firebird tool that you invoke and point towards the database, going through the Firebird server serving up the database on your system. If we are using Base with the EMBEDDED Firebird engine, is there a Firebird server involved? Any ideas on how to “point” gbak “at” such a database?

Are there better discussions of backup (LO/ embedded Firebird) somewhere else? (Yes! I DID spend time with Google search!) A bit worrying that a database I intend for serious use doesn’t seem to have inspired much discussion of robust backup procedures.