Bad On Catalina

After research on Mac program installation I now have LibreOffice on both Windows 7, which I want to retire, and Catalina. Tonight I thought I’d better get used to using it on Mac. I created two short documents intending to continue them later. Now, I’d like to know where these documents are. Before I closed out of them, the program did not acknowledge that I already used the Save As command, which is supposed to give me options to change the title, assign a file type (typically Word) and choose a location. These things did not happen. On Windows 7 I do not have this trouble. Finder is not finding them; and they do not see them under Recent Documents in the program’s drop down menu

No Mac available right now, so taking this from memory. Details may be off. Sorry!

• Do your open documents have a filename assigned? (Should appear in the window title)
  • Try Save as again (Cmd+shift+S). Do you get a save dialog at all? What storage location does the dialog suggest? (field above the filenames pane)
  • See Writer - Preferences - LibreOffice - General. Toggle the setting under Open/Save dialogs and see whether that changes the behavior.

Aside comment: Using a foreign storage format for your files may cause unexpected behavior (but not the kind you reported here, I think). For small and simple documents it is usually no problem to save as Word files. If you are writing a book, use the application’s native file format.

Did you provide Full Disk Access to LibreOffice? If not, then you might not be able to save any document, due to Apples idea of their operating systems security features.

The location it suggests is iCloud

Did you install LibreOffice Vanilla from Apple Store? iCloud is not a default storage device of a standard LibreOffice installation downloaded from Download LibreOffice | LibreOffice - Free Office Suite - Based on OpenOffice - Compatible with Microsoft.

The documents do not show in Recent, as I already wrote in this thread. On hitting Save, the file type is .odt. The location it suggests is iCloud. I do not know how to get to those settings, Preferences. The documents do not show in iCloud under Finder. They would have been under the titles untitled1 and untitled3. It looks like what little work I did yesterday was for nothing. Doesn’t this program make backup copies?

This is not an answer to the question. Please do not post answers on this site, if you actually don’t provide a solution to a question (in this case your own question). Answers on this site are reserved for solutions to a problem. Use add a comment instead or edit your question to provide additional details. Thanks in advance …

You got so many restrictions on this site that at time you don’t even allow comments. That last post was my answer to previous three comments. How about getting some answers pertaining to why on my Mac LibreOffice works like a lemon?

It doesn’t solve your problem and this site is not a forum. It is a Q&A site to provide short paths to solutions without the need to read through a bunch of messages in a confusing thread. If you don’t like it, dont’t use.

> you don't even allow comments

That’s a false statement. There is a add a comment link below Comments section (and below each answer).

I am going to attribute this thread to a onetime glitch. To test these suggestions I hit both Save and Save As. Now they seem to work where they didn’t before. Maybe the two document boxes hid the box for the save options for each document. I have had that happen for things like required passwords for sending emails. No, I did not install Vanilla, not sure if Apple charges for it. I wanted open source with reliability, taking for granted features that I was used to working. To Mac I am a new user and did not want to hunt for lost documents only to find them permanently lost.