I’m running Linux Mint 18.3, 64bit, mate
Earlier I had installed LO 188.8.131.52 from the LO website (Download LibreOffice | LibreOffice - Free Office Suite - Based on OpenOffice - Compatible with Microsoft). In that version, Base uses firebird as embedded database.
Because of stability issues, i re-installed LO 6.2, this time from the PPA (https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+archive/ubuntu/ppa).
In this PPA version of LO, the only embedded database in the list is HSQLDB, no Firebird. I can still open the odb files that I had previously created in the downloaded version of LO 6.2, but I can’t open forms or see tables because "The connection to the datasource could not be established, No SDBC driver was found for the URL sdbc:embedded:firebird’.
So it seems the sdbc drivers for firebird are missing.
I tried installing libreoffice-sdbc-firebird from the Linux Mint software manager, but that gives the error ‘Depends: libreoffice-core (=1:5.1.6~rc2-0ubuntu1~xenial10) but 1:6.2.8~rc2-0ubuntu0.16.04.1 is to be installed’.
So it seems I need sdbc-firebird drivers that are specific to LO 6.2, but I can’t find those. A google search gives me these hits: Libreoffice-sdbc-firebird Download (DEB) and Ubuntu – Package Search Results -- libreoffice-sdbc-firebird , but they don’t have sdbc-firebird drivers for LO 6.2 for Ubuntu 16.04, only for later versions of Ubuntu (Linux Mint 18.3 is based on Ubuntu 16.04). Still, the drivers must exist somewhere, otherwise the LO version I downloaded from the LO website wouldn’t have worked with firebird.
Based on other posts I took following steps:
- I removed my user profile and made a new one, but that had no effect.
- I also doublechecked the java settings: tools > options > LibreOffice > advanced > "Use a java runtime environment" is checked, the installed JRE is “private build 1.8.0_222*”
- I was using openJDK (version 1.8.0_222), but I additionally installed JRE 8u231 from Oracle and selected it in LO. That too had no effect.
- I read somewhere that for firebird to work, tools > options > libreoffice > advanced > experimental features has to be switched on. No effect.
- I completely removed LO, fixed broken packages (not sure if there were any), installed again from ppa. No effect.
I’m stuck now, how do I proceed? Where do I get the correct sdbc-firebird drivers (if that is indeed the problem)?