I am trying to make a database of hymns that we sing in Church that will cover 15 years or so.
WHen I try to create a database, the wizards cut in and want me to select a load of irrelevant fields, like name, address, business, etc. WHen I try to rename them to what I want I am not allowed to do so.
I want to create a database with totally different field names, and print reports from the data for the choir (lists of hymns for the practices etc,)
I have struggled away at this for many hours over many days, and made no headway.
In WORD and MS OFFICE, I could link a table in a Word Document to a Mail Merge document as a report and it worked well, except that after 10 years or so, I ran out of memory.
And I don’t loke Microsoft’s direction of travel, so I’d rather use something open source.
But I can’t find a way to do this usint writer documents, and I am finding the system in LibreOffice inflexible and impossible to make work.
It is entirely possible that I am coming at it from the wrong angle, given my history over the years.
All the help files I have addressed so far assume that I want the categories provided in the wizards, which are unsuitable .
Is there anyone please who can give me advice or point me at some useful information to allow me to do this. If this is the wrong forum for this query, I apologise - please let me know where it sould go.
My efforts to edit the result of using the wizards lead to the suite crashing.
I am trying to make a database of 14 fields all of which can be searched. None greater that 100 chr$, some being just 8.