Bold font style from 'Heading 1' is carried over to the following 'Default Paragraph Style'.

This only happens within one particular 386 page document. It doesn’t happen in new documents.

OS = Linux Mint 21.1
Current LO version: 24.2.3.2
The file is a daily log file which is based on a template file.

The template file has the ‘Default Paragraph Style’ set to use the font, Museo 300, Style: Regular, Size: 11 pt.
It also applies the font Museo 300 to Heading 1, and Heading 4, and changes the next paragarph style to ‘Default Paragraph Style’. None of the other attributes were changed.

Every day I use ‘Heading 1’ to format one 1-line date and time. I never apply direct formatting to this line.

The file was started on Jan. 1, 2024, with LO version 7.2.something. Everything worked fine until the beginning of May.

I installed LO version: 24.2.3.2, hoping that might fix the problem, but no joy.

If I create a new document (using the template), I can enter a date and time and apply ‘Heading 1’, and when I hit ENTER to go to the next line, the next line is set to ‘Default Paragraph Style’, with no bold attribute set. So, cool everything seems to work.

But if I copy over some text from the log file (including a ‘Heading 1’) to the new file. Then when I enter a date and time and apply ‘Heading 1’, and when I hit ENTER to go to the next line, the next line is set to ‘Default Paragraph Style’, but with the bold attribute set.

My current solution is to start a new log file beginning with May. Maybe I’ll convert all of the current ‘Default Paragraph Style’ to ‘Body Text’ to be technically correct. :wink:

Fix first your question. Re-open it by clickong on below it, then on the “pencil” icon. Don’t use a comment: this is not a forum but a Question & Answers site.

Mention OS name, LO version (all 4 numbers or, better, copy the result of Help>About LO) and save format. For best diagnostic, make a sample file by reducing your document to one page, keeping only one paragraph before the problematic Heading 1 and 2 paragraphs below.

Why are you using Default Paragraph Style for your text? This style has the special role to define attributes shared by all other styles (thus conferring a personal touch to your formatting). The “standard” style for main topic text is Body Text. This will spare you some “surprises” after modification of Default Paragraph Style.

How do you apply intra-paragraph typographical variations like bold or italic? Style or direct formatting?

If you play direct formatting (which is the open door to formatting nightmare), this direct formatting carries over a paragraph break. Consequently if you Ctrl+B (or equivalent) to embolden your heading and press Enter at end of it, bold is still active when you start typing the next paragraph.