Boolean queries

I have to give up my old imac for a new one, it also means I have to give up my Appleworks database! Not got the new imac yet.

I have Bento database, but I can’t get the reports the way I want. I think they have gone out of business anyway. Libreoffice might work if I can learn to use it.

I’m trying to reproduce my Appleworks shopping list database. I’m starting with a Libreoffice base of only 39 to test it. I’m using the wizard. The search field is the ‘Buy’ (Boolean). I’ve tried every combination of conditions and values that I can think of. It will not give me a list of checked items. It will give me a list of all of the items or a list of the unchecked items, but not a list of the checked items.

Thank you!

Michael

First thank you! I’ve never been on a users group this complicated. This is going to be a steep learning curve of it’s own! Where is the manual for using site?

So what do I upload and how and where do I upload it? I don’t see anything that says attach.

In the mean time; yes the ‘39’ are records that I interred into the table so I could learn to use the query.

As I said, no mater what combination of conditions and values (TRUE FALSE 0, 1) that I set, It will not give me a list of checked items. I can do queries on other fields (text) in the table and get the list I want, just not the boolean.

I’m 68 yr.'s old, been using Apple computer’s starting in my 20’s, leaned a little C & C++ in my 40’s. just a hobby, haven’t done it for years. So, don’t use to many big wards, or deep concepts!

Thank you!
Michael

Ok! I’m going give it a try! Shopping.odba

‘39’ what, records? Also I’ve given you karma here so you can attach (upload) your database so we can see what you’re doing. That’s probably the quickest and best way to help you. I also have built a shopping list in Base. I would share it, but it’s connected to a MariaDB server, so not as easily shared, but perhaps later I can provide you some screen shots. I’m migrating from MS Access, so I feel your migration pangs. Stick w/ it. LO Base is pretty good. Does most, but not all things.

Ok, good. So the file to upload is the one that ends with .odb (your LO project file that you get from Menu Save). You edit your question above again and use the paper clip icon to open the file selector to attach (upload) your *.odb file. Once you do this it becomes public to the world, so make sure no private information is in it. And there are a few other old farts here, so welcome.

Hello Michael, assuming the “Buy” field is of type “Yes/No [ BOOLEAN ]”, you can create the Query where you set the criterion in the “Buy” column to TRUE

Hello!I did that and other criterion in the “Buy” column. It will not give me a list of only the TRUE Buys.

Michael

Hello Michael, if you go to the Query Design and click the button with the yellow triangle ( “SQL View” ), there you can enter the complete SQL instruction for your Query at once.
In your case you could try something like

SELECT * FROM "shop" WHERE "Buy" = TRUE

OK! Thank you, I Don’t know why that worked. But it did! Now I have another problem, but that will wait.

Michael

In your query change the '1' to True. ‘1’ is a string of text consisting of just one letter. True is the value for boolean true, normally 1, but sometimes -1.

OK! Thank you, I Don’t know why that worked. But it did! Now I have another problem, but that will wait.

Michael