Bug reporting process identification and user profile corruption

Has anybody else considered the following? Comments would be appreciated.

Searching for existing bug reports is a fairly random affair.

If the current searcher fails to utilise any keywords the original reporter identified, they rarely find a match or the potential targets incorporate every bug report in LO.

Would it be feasible to make some form of process ID available with the menu choices - and the context menus - and compel reporters to include that process ID in the brief description?

Searching for CALC LOC0001 - or whatever - increases the prospect of finding relevant issues about a million% and could just speed the process a tad.

Also, we could all find it regardless of our first language so it could reduce the number of duplicated bug reports

Every bug report requests the status of user profile reset
Many reporters are subsequently requested to test with a user profile reset

Clearly, the user profile environment is not sufficiently robust.

I have no idea which component of LO causes all the profile corruption and I’m assuming a project to identify the root cause and implement procedures to reduce the fragility could be beneficial.

Perhaps a permanent log file to identify any changes as they are made to the underlying options could help in both the identification and recovery from profile corruption. Another use for the process ID proposed above.

I have certainly experienced unauthorised profile amendments by simple version upgrades which include but are not limited to:-

Lost Calc Sort Lists
New sort lists in foreign languages
My entire “view” profile with toolbar choices and styles obliterated

Not once, in my recollection, has resetting my user profile, or running in safe mode, ever made any difference to the substance of one of my bug reports.

Surely that says more about the profile weaknesses than anything else - especially as the responders are constantly having to suggest resetting profiles to eliminate these acknowledged inherent weaknesses.

Imagine the productivity bonus if the responders had more faith in the profiles or direct access to a log identifying amendments AND inherent corruption

When entering a bug, bugzilla suggests similar reports as you type.

• When I search for a potential bug report I switch to Google and use keywords that I think are likely, then add site: bugs.documentfoundation.org to the search box.
  • If you are searching on the bugzilla site try and find a meta report which lists related bugs, hovering over each number will give you an idea if it looks relevant.
  • I have had a couple of times when Windows updates have caused inexplicable stuff to happen in LO (and in Windows once), resetting the profile solved those issues (resetting my Windows user solved the Windows issue too). A bug report based on those issues would waste everyone’s time. Cheers, Al
1 Like