Buttons in Calc going black in some spreadsheets

We have a number of spreadsheets. On two of them, the buttons to test that the user has specified valid directories have turned black. I turned on Tools/Forms/Design Mode and deleted the two buttons. I then copied buttons from another spreadsheet into the the one with the black buttons. Everything looked OK. I saved the spreadsheet and re-opened it, but the buttons were black. I went to a spreadsheet with properly coloured buttons, and I copied the Setup sheet to the spreadsheet with the black buttons as Setup1. Setup had Black buttons, Setup1 had proper buttons. I saved the spreadsheet and reopened it, only to find that the buttons on both Setup and Setup1 were black again.

You can see an image of the two spreadsheet here. I have attached a spreadsheet with good buttons and one with black buttons. I’m at a loss as to what’s happening.

You can download a copy of the two spreadsheets from here:

Manning 1916. Black buttons

Onandaga 1934 Good

No solution
I don’t have a direct solution for you, but try to test according to the following description (what might work for you):

First Steps

Thank you for the link, it will come in handy.

The problem of the black buttons is, I think, going to remain a mystery. It happens extremely rarely and it appears just when a spreadsheet is opened. One of our moderators was able to solve the problem by deleting the buttons and then copying the entire row from another spreadsheet and pasting it into the affected spreadsheet. This did not work for me. She emailed me her fixed version, and it was OK for me.

If, like me, she deleted the black buttons and copied the buttons from a good spreadsheet, they looked OK until the spreadsheet was closed and re-opened. Copying the entire row worked.

We have seen this maybe five or six times in the last two years or so. Over that time we’ve had one or two dozen transcribers with different versions of Calc, and about 20-30 different spreadsheets involved, so you can see how rare this is. If someone encounters this problem, we we just email the person a good copy of the spreadsheet.

I have been having the same issue with LibreCalc. Some of the buttons remain fine while others will go black inside the button with only a small border of the background color showing. I started playing around with it and don’t know if this is the cause or not as I just now discovered it and haven’t had a chance to give it the test of time although I have exited the program twice and reloaded and the buttons remained fix.
I have a logo embedded in page one of the workbook and I noticed that if I expanded the buttons that were blacked out that logo was was inside the button. The button was just too small to see the logo without expanding the button. This was the case with all the buttons that went black. So I removed the logo from sheet 1 and rebuilt the buttons. So again, I have exited and relaunched twice and all is still fine but this is not really a good test. I will play with it over time and see if this fixes the issue. I’ve searched all over for a solution and the best I can come up with is…“well it’s rare so you might have to live with it.” I don’t know if this will fix it or not but we will see.

I have a spreadsheet that gives a better test. Instructions are at the top of the Log Page sheet, and you can load an image and the buttons will stay orange. If you load another image, the buttons go cloudy. Loading a third image will make the buttons go black. It seems to happen because of something in the image. I loaded a “bad” image in ifranView and saved it. That version of the image had no affect on the buttons. I suggest making a copy of the spreadsheet when the buttons are good, just so you aren’t always having to copy buttons. Once a button goes black or cloudy, it will stay that way until they are replaced after a “good” image is loaded. I haven’t notice the attach button, so I here is a link to the spreadsheet.Bug_Test.ods

Since I reported this bug, I have had to get a new computer, and the problem continues. I was hoping that one of our volunteers, who uses Linux, could test it, but he is on holidays at the moment.

Thank you for the reply. Since I removed the “logo” it seems to be working fine but again, only time will tell. I have had this same problem over several versions. Removing the logo is not a big deal as it’s for my ham radio club and I’m the only one who uses it. Putting the logo in the sheet was just a vanity thing for me. But it could be a problem if I was doing it commercially. Yes, it definetely has something to do with the image. Hopefully, they will be able to fix it some day. Thanks again!

Can you give a reference to the bug-report? Or did you assume your post of Jan 22 is the bug-report?
As you mentioned IrfanView I guess you are using Windows?

Sorry, I assumed this was a bug report. I will make a bug report now. I am using Windows 11 on a brand new computer. This problem has been on earlier versions as well as a different PC running Windows 8 and then 10.

Version: 7.4.5.1 (x64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 9c0871452b3918c1019dde9bfac75448afc4b57f
CPU threads: 4; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 22000; UI render: default; VCL: win
Locale: en-CA (en_CA); UI: en-GB
Calc: threaded

Bug reports go into the bug tracker.

I submitted the bug about an hour ago. Thanks…

Please report the bug number back here in the form tdf#123456. Thanks.

tdf#154230