Calc - Auto Generate via libreoffice API calc files using a calc template

Hi

General question if anyone has automated the generation of Calc files using a template, and input data.

I have a lot of data being generated and saved in CSV file format, I usually open and analyze these files using Calc. With CSV I have to manually open the file in calc and then change the application/document settings, then manually save the file as an ODF (rather than a CSV).

But what I would like to do is to create a template that I could then use to automatically generate the calc files, passing into the creation process (via an API) my raw data content. This process would hopefully then create calc files all in the same layout and format, giving me th ability to compare the different data that I have against each other. Is there a way to do this ?

My workflow would be

1. Create a template that would allow me to define and configure the layout I want to use for my data files
  2. Generate my Data and save to CSV format
  3. Call the Libreoffice API, passing in my Data and the template name, then the calc API would create a calc file format from the data

Or maybe there is a way to do this from inside the App with macros instead of via an API ? Could I load a calc template then import my data and save it as an libreoffice calc document using a macro for automation ?

Thanks.

Your repeated use of “ODT” will confuse any reader, who could easily see (just try to Save As, and see the extension) that a template for ODS spreadsheet is called OTS (the same way as a template for ODT text document is called OTT).

1 Like