Calc: Cell selection (using shift and arrow key) unintentionally jumps to upper left corner (A1)

Whenever I shift any cells with Shift-Del Shift-Insert from one position to another and subsequently try to modify the selected area with any Shift-ArrowKey the selected area switches as if I had entered Shift-Ctrl-Home (Shift-Strg-Pos1) or had clicked in the upper left corner of the sheet with Shift-key down.
Example (how to reproduce it):

1. select cell C3 (doesn’t matter if it is empty)
  2. press Ctrl-Shift-Del
  3. move focus one cell right i.e. press arrowKeyRight (focus is now on D3)
  4. press Ctrl-Shift-Ins
  5. if you try to enhance the selection from D3:D3 to D3:D4 by pressing Shift-ArrowKeyDown, the selection switches to A1:D3)
    The only way to avoid this unwanted behavior is to temporarily click/select any other cell (e.g. B2) after step (4.) before reselecting D3. After that maneuvre, pressing Shift-ArrowKeyDown works as expected and the area D3:D4 is selected.

I don’t know wether this is a bug or a feature. If it is a feature, I wonder for what purpose. Anyhow I would be very thankful for any hint, how to solve this.bug or disable the ‘feature’.

Thanks a lot

{using Version: 6.2.8.2 (x64) Build-ID: f82ddfca21ebc1e222a662a32b25c0c9d20169ee}
{Operating System CPU-Threads: 4; BS: Windows 10.0; UI-Render: Standard; VCL: win;
Gebietsschema: de-DE (de_DE); UI-Sprache: de-DE Calc: threaded}

Can you please add some information on Operating-system, and if it is Linux used Distribution, Desktop (kde, gnome, xfce…) as your obsevation may not be present everywhere…

1 Like

Definitely, the details about environment are essential. In addition to using an obsolete version (6.2 was 5 major versions, more than two years, ago), the observation about keyboard shortcut behavior is usually very system-specific, and it may be just some OS/desktop key handling that converts some sequence into something else. I do not repro the observation using 7.3.0.2 on Windows 10.

THX for your hints! I’m currently upgrading to version 7.1.8. but I have little hope, this will change the game as the reported behavior annoys me (afaik) since I switched from excel to calc.
As soon as 7.1.8 is up and running I’ll tell about the results

Just to show some confusion in the steps: doing this on C3 (both empty, and containing data) for me enters the cell’s in-place edit mode (i.e., blinking cursor appears inside the cell); is that what you experience? Because it seems that you might see something else - could that be something specific to localized shortcuts maybe?

Sorry sorry, I apologise it’s just Shift-Del Shift-Ins (without Ctrl).
Meanwhile 7.1.8 is running and shows the same behaviour as the older version.

Ctrl-X Ctrl-V (instead of Shift-Del Shift-Ins) shows the same unwanted behavior

Ah - it shows how much attention is needed when you provide steps, and how important it is to perform your own steps after you typed them, to check yourself. Yes, I do see something using Shift instead of Ctrl+Shift in the steps (it selects A2:D3 in my case); of course, it is a bug, and needs a bug report.

Thanks a lot and have a great day!

For me Shift+Del cuts and Shift+Insert pastes, i.e. same as Ctrl+X and Ctrl+V. If I do Ctrl+Shift+Del it just deletes while Ctrl+Shift+Insert does nothing.

Either way, if I paste in the new cell then use Shift+Arrow keys I get:

• Shift+Left = select to A1
  • Shift+Right = select to B1 (excludes first column)
  • Shift+Down = select to A2 (excludes first row)
  • Shift+Up = select to A1
  • Ctrl+Shift+Down = Select to beginning of row
  • Ctrl+Shift+Right = select to B1 (excludes first column)
  • Ctrl+Shift+Left = no change
  • Ctrl+Shift+Right = no change

This looks like it might be a deliberate function. If you keep the selection and use the Shift+Arrow keys it will reduce the selection as normal after the initial selection.

NB. If you click Shift+Backspace it “Deselects the current cell selection without deleting contents.” So then you can use the Shift+arrow keys normally

1 Like

It is already reported, please add there your comment.

EDITING: After Cut and Paste (Shift-Del Shift-Ins or Ctrl-X Ctrl-V) Shift-ArrowKey results in a jump to cell A2