Calc does not open anymore

I recently installed Ubuntu 20.045 and after a a few days LibreOffice Calc ‘crashed’ and I cannot open a spreadsheet anymore , my syslog said Java missing, so I tried to fix this using

I could start Word word and checked JRE, I now have JRE installed, vendor=Ubuntu version 11.0.17.
When I try open a spreadsheet my LibreOffice-session reduces to a small icon. I have photographed my desktop but I do not know how to add this picture to this issue. It has the size of a stamp and has a text
‘Untitled 1 - LibreO…’

1 Like

At first: You don’t need Java to open files in Word/Calc. *buntu often installs without Java, but usually this “problem” arises only if people use Base, as the default database HSQLDB is itself written in Java. Even Base can be used ostly without Java.
To handle your error: Try to start in save mode or rename the user profile. A damaged profile is the most likely cause for problems.
Second step, if safe mode/profile rename didn’t help would be to remove/re-install LibreOffice. You may have a Snap-version instead of a regular apt-install, if you are on a newer Ubuntu.

Word is part of Microsoft-Office. I assume Writer is the program you can start. If this is true you may try to start Writer, then select from the Menu New (file) → New Spreadsheet to check, if only your file-manager can not start Calc, or LibreOffice itself is blocked here.
Last remark: As some people never reboot their laptops. Some problems are cured agter a full shutdown and reboot…

Hello Wanderer, I started Writer and selected a new spreadsheet, a new Calc-task started and on an empty sheet there was a tiny icon, about 15mm high and 8 mm wide , the top is black with a white a point and a white X in it , the bottom is white with the word File in it. It would be really nice if I could upload a .jpg of my desktop with the icon on it. I also could reinstall LibreOffice but I don’ know how, It came with Ubuntu 20.04.5

You might wish to try this solution which involves switching to the window with Alt+Tab. Then press Alt+Space, which should display the window menu. You can select “Resize”, and then use the arrow keys to resize the window. Press Enter when done resizing.
I have tried this by forcing a small icon and it worked.

Thanks Graham, it worked. I have a working LibreOffice again

Marius

GrahamLees via Ask LibreOffice schreef op 2023-01-08 10:19:

blocked.gif

1 Like

perhaps consider an upvote and mark it as a solution?

how do I upvote ?

click the grey up arrow alongside the answer :wink:

You cannot exceed the number of votes for your trust level. that is what happened when I clicked the up arrow

oh well, thanks for trying anyway.

Hallo Graham,

is the problem now ‘officially closed’ , if not how can i do that

thanks

Marius

GrahamLees via Ask LibreOffice schreef op 2023-01-08 22:01:

blocked.gif

It’s marked as Solved and that’s fine. No need for further action from either of us.