Calc Freezes on Copy. Nov 22 Solution/Recomendations make no difference

Calc just started freezing immediately after copying a cell. Happens using [right click] as well as [Ctrl-C]. Copy/paste works fine in Write and Present. Laptop cooling fan kicks into high speed. Task Manager shows LibreOffice CPU slowly ramping up to steady state of +40% and memory slowly increases at a rate of 9 MB/s (i.e. new/blank sheet starts off at 77MB RAM and increases to 3GB after 3.5mins and continues increasing indefinitely). Can successfully close LibreOffice via Task Manager.

Unable to open a new LibreOffice instance until I close the previous instance.

I have done every thing in the 1 Nov. 2022 post that is shown as solved.

The only thing that is different is that I have LO 7.5.4.1 and I have no JRE on my machine. Installed the latest JRE and it made no difference. Display control is SLi and not OpenGl or OpenCl. Tried OpenGl but it made no difference.

There is not such version yet.
Is it 7.4.5.1?

Have you tried it with an older version (at least a portable version)?
Operating system version?
Are you using some clipboard manager software?
Can you upload a problematic .ods file here?

You seem to have copied the symptoms exactly word for word from Calc freezes when copying a cell

What are the symptoms on your PC?
Also add the info from Help > About LibreOffice (click the button next to the words Version Information)
How was right click eats memory resolved with Nuance Dragon?

Tibor,

Have tried 2 different versions. Upgraded originally because the previous version is when it quit working.
The Operating System is as noted in the attached screenshot.
No, no clipboard manager software. Just windows as it came on my machine.
It fails on any .ods file. Ones produced on other machines, ones up to 10 years old on my machine, ones I just created the other day, etc. When I take the .ods files to a friends house it runs just fine there so uploading will show nothing.
My machine is 1.5 years old.

Screenshot 02-11-2023 19.59.44.png

EarnestAI,

I did copy it. Symptoms are exactly the same but none of the solutions there cure the problem.
About LibreOffice screenshot attached.
Even uninstalling Nuance Dragon did not cure the problem. And I rebooted on all changes.

Screenshot 02-11-2023 19.59.44.png

Unrelated to your problem, but you might be interested to know that the icon next to Version Information on your Help/About window allows you to copy the version information as text, which can then be simply pasted into your message.

1 Like

David,

Never knew that. Thanks.

Many LO versions work fine for me on my Win10 Prof x64. Portable ones and permanently installed ones without such problem.
The root of the problem maybe is located

• in the LO User profile. (Try to reset/delete it. Or just rename it, then you will have a backup copy of it. The LO will create a brand new one after restarting the LO.)
  • in the actual installation. (Try to do a clean reinstall: Delete the rest part of the previous installation after a regular unistall from the ProgramFiles, and delete the LO User profile from your Windows User directory. Or you can try some Portable versions of the LO: if they will not work properly, then the error is not in the LO.)

Note: the Win10 itself has a clipboard manager sotware. Try to switch off it.

Tibor,

Went to System > Clipboard (didn’t know I had one in windows) and Clipboard history was turned off. Suggested Actions was turned on so I turned it off and everything worked fine. Turned it back on and it locked up again. Turned it off again and everything works fine so you were right, it was in the Windows clipboard software.

Thank you, and I am considering this Solved.

Thank you for your time
Bruce Williams

Hello. I just had the same issue and disabling the Suggested Actions in Windows helped.
Thank you for the help.
Adding comments from my side. Even if this bug is caused by Windows I would still say that the problem must be solved by the LO.
I believe Windows is shipped by default with the Suggested Actions turned on which would mean that for everyone who doesn’t find this forum post and uses Windows the Calc copy will not work. And the data are not restored after such crashes. Losing data like that a few times I have already done my task in Excell and installed the OnlyOffice.
A week later I found this post and it solved my issue.

I don’t think this should be the default experience for every user.

I doubt that, we would have way more reports of this if that was the case.

Changing system settings sounds a bit like malware.

Don’t forget the reckless Faststart setting in Windows, that should be off by default, should LO change that also?

Well, I’m not asking to change the Windows settings. It’s not the Windows that freezes but much rather the LO.
I’m asking to find a way to handle the default Windows setting without freezing the app and loosing the data.