Calc Functionality Lost

Calc Chart Insert (nor Copy) no longer no longer allows selecting Data (Range, Serries, x & y values) from another Calc spreadsheet by use of URL,

='file://C:\Users\ *User Name*\*File Locatio**n*\*File Name*.ods#$Sheet2.$A41:$A79

[erAck: edited to format code as code as the asterisks spoiled things, see This is the guide - How to use the Ask site? - #6 by erAck]

When did that work? Could you please give a concrete example that worked before? Your’s would never work. And “no longer” means what? Same version? Which version? Updated? From what version to what version? Or yet something else?
Best copy the data from the Help → About dialog (there’s a button to do so) and paste it into your question (edit it with the ... dots and then pencil).

This “URL” is invalid (even if it works sometimes, just because we take explicit measures to process such constructs - it would not be able to handle any invalid construct). Assuming the asterisks here just for sake of marking some placeholders (so I hope you don’t actually have asterisks in your URL, because asterisks are invalid characters in the paths on Windows), the proper URL in the reference would be

='file://C:/Users/%20User%20Name/File%20Location/File%20Name.ods'#$Sheet2.$A41:$A79

The changes are:

1. File name must be enclosed in single quotes (your example lacked closing one);
  2. No backslash characters \ are allowed in URLs (hierarchical parts of the path must be separated by forward slashes /);
  3. No space characters are allowed in URLs (they must be percent-encoded %20).

The problem is not in formatting. It was meant to be an example without actully providing any personal information.

I have a great number of individual spreadsheets for finanancial indicies and entities that I follow. Rather than scroll through numerous spreadsheets I I have used the URL method to have one composite spreadsheet that has a chart for each individual spreadsheet. I started doing that back with Sun’s Star 8 or 9. This has worked up until sometime in 2022/23, with various versions of Star, Apache, and LibreOffice. I am now using LibO 7.6.4.1.

The problem is that now you can neither Copy nor Create a chart that uses data from another spread sheet. by using either URL paths or by selecting the data from another spreadsheet.

Here are generic examples o fURL paths that have worked in the past:

Data Range ‘file:///C:/Users/User Name/Cloud Service/File Folder/DJIAHistory.ods’#$Sheet2.$A$41:$C$79,$Sheet2.$B$1:$C$1

Data Series:

Wks Avg Name ‘file:///C:/Users/User Name/Cloud Service/File Folder/DJIA History.ods’#$Sheet2.$B$1:$B$1
x values ‘file:///C:/Users/User Name/Cloud Service/File Folder/DJIA History.ods’#$Sheet2.$A$41:$A$79
y values ‘file:///C:/Users/User Name/Cloud Service/File Folder/DJIA History.ods’#$Sheet2.$B$41:$B$79

Moving Avg Name ‘file:///C:/Users/User Name/Cloud Service/File Folder/DJIA History.ods’#$Sheet2.$C$1:$C$1
x values ‘file:///C:/Users/User Name/Cloud Service/File Folder/DJIA History.ods’#$Sheet2.$A$41:$A$79
y values ‘file:///C:/Users/User Name/Cloud Service/File Folder/DJIA History.ods’#$Sheet2.$C$41:$C$79

Data Series:

Data Range ‘file:///C:/Users/User Name/Cloud Service/File Folder/NASDAQ History.ods’#$Sheet2.$A$41:$C$79,$Sheet2.$B$1:$C$1

Wks Avg Name ‘file:///C:/Users/User Name/Cloud Service/File Folder/NASDAQ History.ods’#$Sheet2.$B$1:$B$1
x values ‘file:///C:/Users/User Name/Cloud Service/File Folder/NASDAQ History.ods’#$Sheet2.$A$41:$A$79
y values ‘file:///C:/Users/User Name/Cloud Service/File Folder/NASDAQ History.ods’#$Sheet2.$B$41:$B$79

Moving Avg Name ‘file:///C:/Users/User Name/Cloud Service/File Folder/NASDAQ History.ods’#$Sheet2.$C$1:$C$1
x values ‘file:///C:/Users/User Name/Cloud Service/File Folder/NASDAQ History.ods’#$Sheet2.$A$41:$A$79
y values ‘file:///C:/Users/User Name/Cloud Service/File Folder/NASDAQ History.ods’#$Sheet2.$C$41:$C$79

Hope this has you looking at possible solutions rather than bickering over formats.

Do you happen to recall with what LibreOffice version that worked last for you? However, this sounds like a regression that should be submitted as bug and the resulting bug number reported back here in the form tdf#12345. Thanks.

The folders /Cloud Service/ are local folders with sync to something like dropbox? Or mounted WebDAV folders? And I guess you verified your data is actually available at this location locally.

Verified by many years of use and whenI provided the examples