Calc - keep original selection after "find and replace"

Hi. I have a column of cells that contain various text. I want to do a number of ‘find/replace’ commands on the whole column - e.g. replace “&” with “and”, then replace " " with “”, etc… When I do the first ‘find/replace’ the selection is changed from the whole column to just the cells where the first text was found. I then have to re-select the whole column again. Is there a way of making sticking with the original selection after each ‘find/replace’?

Thanks!

Hello,

there is no way to keep the original selection. However, if you “want to do a number of ‘find/replace’ commands on the whole column”, just keep the Find and Replace- Dialog open and click the column header (letter heading a column).

Thanks for your answer. That’s what I’m doing at the moment, but it’s a pain - I guess it’s because it does a ‘find all’ then ‘replace all’ rather than ‘find, replace, find, replace,…’ within the selection? Just realised it is easier for me just to keep clicking on the ‘Replace’ button (which keeps the selection) until it says “search key not found” rather than do ‘Replace All’.

While I can see why it would do this for ‘Find all’, I think the behaviour is ‘unexpected’ for ‘Replace all’ and I’m not sure there’s an advantage to it working like this? it certainly is different to Excel.

Your question was “Is there a way of making sticking with the original selection after each ‘find/replace’?” and this has been answered. If you want to provide an enhancement request for your desired functionality, you need file one at bugzilla

Thanks. Will do.

Ref.: tdf#143500 - Calc EDITING - Add option to keep the original selection after "Find and Replace / Replace All (+1)