Can I change the default for starting number of second numbered list when using list style?

When using a numbered list style, the first list in the document starts with 1 and continues sequentially. This is expected.

After finishing this list and adding more text to the document, I want to include a new numbered list, so I use the numbered list style again. The first list item starts with the number following the last number of the previous numbered list in the document.

I know I can right click and select List>Restart Numbering to start this new list at 1. But I am wondering if I can change the default so that any new numbered list starts with 1.

Version: 7.5.7.1 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 47eb0cf7efbacdee9b19ae25d6752381ede23126
CPU threads: 12; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 22621; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: en-US (en_US); UI: en-US
Calc: CL threaded

The problem here resides in the way to announce to Writer that what follows is the start of a new instance of the list.

a list style identifies paragraphs as members of an abstract list which is distinguished by various attributes such as the kind of numbering (bullet, number, letters, …), character style of the numbering, indentation of levels, etc. Two lists decorated by different list styles represent different semantic significance and are independent from each other. This means their numbering sequences don’t interact and we can achieve “interesting” (and predictable) effects by interleaving both lists.

Usually a document exhibits a single abstract “semantic list” (represented by a single list style) but has several instances of this list, the same as we have several paragraphs Body Text without implying they are the same paragraph. It is highly desirable that these instances all restart at 1.

Unfortunately there is no setting in any style (whether paragraph or list) to “delimit” a list.

The only device to explicitly signal the start of an instance is Format>Lists>Restart Numbering.

What I described above about “semantic” definition of an abstract list does not apply to generic Format>Bullets & Numbering because this feature is dramatically twisted to offer compatibility with the badly designed feature in Word. You’ll meet much more difficulty in controlling your lists with it because it is supposed to cover all lists, be they instances of the same abstract model or not. Modifying an existing list is a real nightmare. So, although mastering list styles is a bit hard, it gives you more reliability and versatility in the end.

Thank you for this good explanation of the situation ajlittoz. Knowing this will save me much time in trying to come up with a workaround. Setting up a shortcut key combination for Restart Numbering seems like the best alternative.