Can I use Base to create a code/snippet manager?

Dear Sirs.
I have tried out to some free code/snippet manager but, for one reason or another, I don’t feel comfortable with any of them. So I want set up a real database to store and organize the source code I write. Ms Access could be a reasonable choice but I don’t want to get permanently locked in a proprietary license. That’s my first encounter with LibreOffice, and I would be grateful to learn from experienced users about the feasibility of the task using Base.

Please, consider that:

• I work only on a desktop PC.
  • I don’t need any cloud based feature.
  • I don’t need any team feature.
  • I don’t need any sync feature.

I would really really appreciate the opportunity to use a plain text (XML, as an example) file format.

Thanks for your attention !!

Hello,
This is too general for a question and answer site. This site is more geared to issues/problems regarding LibreOffice.
Here is some direction for you.
Base, like Access, is not a database but it is shipped with HSQLDB embedded (and Firebird embedded with experimental features turned on). It is a front end to a database. With LO Base you can use a variety of databases (my personal preference use is PostgreSQL). This is your first matter of choice. My code snippets are in a Memo field in the table. This field type may vary depending upon the database you choose.
As to how it will operate is up to you. This is your desigh (as you stated you were unhappy with others). Mine allows display by type of code used and you can have a variety of search possibilities.
Best to review the LO documentation here → LO Base Documentation
Also on line docs → On-Line Help

@Ratslinger Thanks for your reply !

“This is too general for a question and answer site. This site is more geared to issues/problems regarding LibreOffice.” means that I have to relocate the thread on a different place (where ?) ?

Seems more of a database design issue. Have no specific site to recommend.
Did present general information for you in the comment.
Again there is nothing really specific here as you state:

There are some I don'ts here but really nothing of what exactly you are looking for.
Based upon the title:

Can I use Base to create a code/snippet manager?

the answer is most likely.