Can no longer open password protected file, a "~lock." file appearing

I can no longer open a password protected file in LibreOffice Writer. After I type the password, it just freezes and have to force shut down LibreOffice. The password I enter is correct, all keyboard keys work ok, I restarted both LibreOffice and the computer several times. There appears to be an additional hidden file with the same name but with an added “.~lock.” at the beginning of the name and a # at the end that I suspect may be telling me that the file is somehow locked (or it may just be there because I am trying to open the actual file):

.~lock.NameOfMyFile.odt#

Deleting this file from the directory didn’t help.

I tried to open the password protected file in my normal OS (Linux Mint 21.3 MATE 64-bit) on this LibreOffice version [1] and I also tried in Windows 10 on this LibreOffice version [2] after moving the file to the Windows (virtual) machine, but no luck…

I created a new password protected file and was able to open it, so the issue is with the specific file only.

Thank you in advance for your help!

[1]
Version: 7.3.7.2 / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 30(Build:2)
CPU threads: 16; OS: Linux 6.8; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3
Locale: en-US (en_US.UTF-8); UI: en-US
Ubuntu package version: 1:7.3.7-0ubuntu0.22.04.5
Calc: threaded

[2]
Version: 24.2.5.2 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: bffef4…
CPU threads: 8; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 19045; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: en-US (en_US); UI: en-US
Calc: threaded

Lock-files are always created, when you open a file and deleted, when you close.
But your:

prevented the deletion. My guess is: This is not related to your problem opening your protected file.