Can you add a new currency in libreoffice calc?

Hi,

I’m from Mauritius and I wanted to add my country’s currency in libreoffice calc so that I can manage my finance more accurately.

Can I do that?

The currency here is the mauritian rupee.
Approx: $1 = Rs 34.50

Thanks.

What do you mean by “adding” a currency? a currency is actually only a decoration in a cell. Internally, it’s just a number. You may create a dedicated format string like 0.00 " Rs" to use with money (if mentioning currency in column header isn’t enough). If you want support of the locale using this currency in LibreOffice, file a bug report.

Ok thank you for your help. I’ll use format string then. It’s just that now I need to add a formula to convert it to US $ or Euros, which is pretty damn complicated for me. Oh well, thx anyway.

I am looking for a similar kind of solution. Ideally, I would like to create a custom currency solution. The default definition for the Philippines Peso is to use the cumbersome and awkward Php. I have noticed that many businesses here have started to use: ₱ Which in the Linux Character map shows up as:
U+20B1 Peso sign = Filipino peso sign * Philippines; extant and discontinued Latin-American peso currencies (Mexican, Chilean, Colombian, etc.) use the dollar sign.

I don’t understand the answer about creating a dedicated format string as mentioned. Ideally I would like to define a new default currency symbol. In the current age of crypto currencies that are inventing new symbols on the fly almost weekly, I suspect that this would be a popular option.

This is a comment on the old original question and two specific comments above.

This looks as if the questioner expected to get conversion functionality based on the usage of predefined currencies.

Everything requiring currency conversion is pretty damn complicated for everybody using spreadsheets. In fact it is impossible without detailed information about the rates (which may change very frequently) and about which algorithm should be applied depending on the practices of involved companies and authorities. From a “naive” point of view it may just require a simple multiplication with “the” exchange rate.
Once again: In no case it has something to do with number formatting.
I would therefore suggest, to not use currency formats at all. The used currency , say “MYC” should be indicated by the column label above the amount reading e.g. “AMOUNT/MYC”.
A conversion never is a simple calculation (formula) but always a complicated and date-time dependent transaction.

Part of the answer showed up in:
https://help.libreoffice.org/latest/en-US/text/scalc/guide/currency_format.html
For my purposes, under the LibreOffice Calc Currency selection, I chose the format:
PHP ₱ Hiligaynon rather than PHP Php Philippines (English)
According to Wikipedia: Hiligaynon, also often referred to as Ilonggo or Binisaya/Bisaya nga Hiniligaynon/Inilonggo, is an Austronesian regional language spoken in the Philippines by about 9.1 million people, predominantly in Western Visayas and Soccsksargen, most of whom belong to the Hiligaynon people. I am not sure if this is the correct solution.

1 Like

For currency symbols, see Currency symbol - Wikipedia

For ISO currency codes, see ISO 4217 - Wikipedia

UNICODE Currency Symbols (character code tables and list of character names) (PDF 260 KB).