Cannot create a new database - need JRE

New LO user here & trying to create a new database using either the Wizard or Create Form function. But I get a message that Java runtime environment is needed, which is not on my PC.

Previously I read that Base will work without JRE but not all the functions may be available. But how do I get a database created in the first place?

Hello,

It is correct that Base will work without Java installed. This however depends upon the database to be used.

HSQLDB embedded needs Java. Some that do not: Firebird embedded or server; MySQL; PostgreSQL; MariaDB.

For fulfilling the JRE requirement, see → FAQ

Also LO documentation → LibreOffice Base Guide. Information on Creating a database.

I read through the guide & would rather not install Java.

When creating a LO database the only option that shows up is HSQLDB.

I tried to connect to an existing database & selected dBase because I also saved the Works db in the dBase IV .dbf format. But that doesn’t show up on the HDD when I have LO browse for it.

What steps am I missing in order to create a Base database without Java, or open my .dbf file?

Not familiar enough with .dbf to get involved in that.

Already noted some databases in my answer that will do this and the guide explains connections (can use ODBC instead of Java JDBC). Firebird embedded also comes with LO but experimental feature must be turned on.

From any LO menu, Tools->Options. Then under LibreOffice->Advanced on right under Optional Features select Enable Experimental Features. Select OK & restart LO. You should now be able to optionally select Firebird in creating a database. It does come with its’ own set of situations.

Thanks for the information & I did enable Firebird.

I searched on how to create a form for Base and this & similar instructions come up.

But I don’t get any ribbon or tool bar at the top of the screen as shown in the example. I do when opening Writer or Calc, but not Base.

When I click on Base Database to open it, it opens with a Database Wizard with a choice to Create a new database & it does show Firebird Embedded. I click on Next which brings up a choice to register the database & to open or create tables. I select create tables, then Finish, but that takes me to saving the database. However I haven’t created a database yet because I was never given the opportunity to do so.

Is there some reason the upper toolbar does not display or the option to create a form?
Thanks

For Base a dBase-Database is only a folder with .dbf files. Open a new .odb, select connect to existing Database, select dbase and select the folder, not the .dbf

Every .dbf in the folder will show as table in the Database, other files are ignored

When I used Works to save a database in the dBase format it just saved it as a file with a .dbf extension. The file was saved to whichever folder I chose, which was the Document folder. IOW there is no dBase folder.

So you have to link to the folder where your *.dbf-file is saved. Attention: You will need the extension “dbf” not written in upper case “DBF”. See bug 46180.

Remember: If you won’t use Java you won’t be able to create reports with the internal report builder.

Do not select Create tables as this takes you to the table creation Wizard. Because you do not want Java, Wizards are not available. By saving this is creating an empty database. You then may place your data into it.

Not understanding all this talk of forms when this question is about creating a database. That should be your first objective. You did state in your comment that you have read through the guide. This process is explained there.

When I run LO the left side of the screen has options for creating a Writer Document, Calc Spreadsheet, Base Database, etc. I click on Base Database & it opens a window that’s titled Database Wizard.which has options to Create a new database, Open an existing one, or Connect to existing one.

I select Create then Next which brings up a choice to register the database & to open or create tables. Open is selected by default. It makes no difference whether I click on Create tables using the wizard or not, because when I click on Finish it takes me to the Save As screen. But I haven’t done anything to save yet.

I’ve always created a form in order to create the fields I wanted & how I wanted them laid out. This in turn created the database. I’ve always entered data, such as name & address via a form, even when using MS Access.

I read the guide but it was confusing because I’ve always started by creating a form. Several online tutorials showed how to create a form. Since this was a familiar process to me I figured why not start with a form.

I’ll read through the guided again. But how come I don’t have a ribbon toolbar as shown in the link I mentioned about how to create a data entry form?

You do not create forms until you have created a database - at least an empty one.

• create database (or in some cases connect to one)

• create tables and insert data (if not in connected DB)

• create forms, queries

Your link shows no ribbon toolbar. Just forms with toolbars and you have not yet created an empty database.

Because not all software works the same.

I’m getting there, I think. I was able to save a blank database.

But I’m still confused -
I’m using LibreOffice 7.1.6.2 and have downloaded all 479 pages of the Base Guide 6.4, the latest available.

• In Chapter 1 “Introduction to Base” on page 16 it says " In daily use, Base initially opens with the view shown in Figure 2", which is on page 17. But I don’t get that view.

It also says “Although the basis for a database is formed by tables, Base starts with the Form view because forms are the elements most commonly used when working with databases. With the forms, you can make entries into the tables and analyze table content.”

• Chapter 2 “Creating a Database” on page 54 shows Figure 12 which is what I get when I open Base. Above the image it says “To create an internal database from the LibreOffice Start screen, click the Database button; or, from anywhere in LibreOffice, use File > New > Database. The Database Wizard (Figure 12) opens.”

What determines if Base starts with the figure shown in chapter 1 or with the figure shown in chapter 2?

Above that is states:

This chapter introduces two sample databases and this entire book is built around them:

and if you look at the top of the image it gives the name of an existing Base file (one of the mentioned samples). So if you do not open that sample you will not get that view.

Figure 12 is creating a new Base file with either an embedded DB or connection to outside source.

Since you have created a database, this question is answered. Any further questions should be asked as new.