Cannot figure out how to work with templates - please help!

Greetings,
I apologise to bring back this topic but I am really lost and need help.
When I create a new Draw document, it has some default style which I need to change.
Lines: pale blue, I want to change it to black
Area: pale blue, I want to change it to white or none
Font: Liberation Sans, I want to change it to Times New Roman.
I tried to follow the instructions and save a document with these formatting as Template, but it does not work. If I simply change the attributes and save my document as template, then why I create a new file it shows up with the content of the file I had saved as a template. If I delete the objects I have used to create the template, saving thus a blank file, the default attribute show up in a new file (pale blue, Liberation sans…)
What should I do to modify the default template to that a new document shows the attributes I want, once and for all?
I took the example of Draw, but the same question applies to Writer.
Thank you for you help.

Draw and Writer are different, it might be worth your looking through The Writer Guide and the Draw Guide from Documentation - The Document Foundation Wiki

For Draw your initial drawings and text are set by Default Drawing Style. It can be found in the Sidebar, in the Styles pane.
Right click Default Drawing Style and select Edit Style (Modify for earlier versions). In the dialogue that opens, set:

• Lines: to black
  • Area: to white (might be safest)
  • Font: to Times New Roman

OK.
Click File > Templates > Save as template.
In the dialogue that opens, select My Templates or other category. Give it a name and tick the box, Set as default template. Save.
When you open a new drawing these attributes will be set.
If you later want to change the attributes, click File Templates > Manage templates and right click it. From the context menu select Edit. To stop it being the default instead click Reset Default

Writer is more complex because documents have developed over the centuries to meet different needs. Do you want to change just the font? Where? in the body of the document?, the headings? the headers?, etc. It is best to read the guide to understand the basics. The method for saving as template is similar however.

Templates contain two main components: styles and initial data. The difference is more obvious in Writer.

Usually, you want to configure styles to meet your preferences, either by modifying existing built-in styles or by creating new ones. But you can do more interesting things. Initial contents allows you to pre-fill the document. This can be the skeleton of a letter or even of a complete technical document. Consider it is easier to remove data that to type repetitive data without error.

It is up to you to decide if your templates only define styles or if you already show some “conventional” contents (at least as an example of your template). In the latter case, placeholders can suggest usages of data/styles.

Thanks, most useful indeed! :+1: :+1:

This is not a solution; please delete it and re-post as a comment - use the speech bubble.