Cannot hide default styles

Hello!

I’m working with custom styles so I want to hide most of the default styles. However, when hiding a style it still appears in the style box. Can anyone help me hide the LibreWriter default styles so I can more easily access the custom styles? See attached image.

Background: I’ve opened a .docx file and saved it as a .odt file, because I wanted to get access to the custom styles that were defined in the .docx file. The .docx file edits the “default paragraph style” but otherwise only uses newly created custom styles.

EDIT: I am using version 24.2.5.2 (X86_64) with no mods / extensions / addons.

Your screenshot highlights two areas.

The top one is the main toolbar. You chose a tabbed UI which is offered to ease conversion from M$ Word, but does not promote the different workflow of Writer, i.e. you are mainly prompted for direct formatting.

To hide this upper part, revert to the “standard” UI.

The right area is part of the style side pane. Several views are possible. The bottom drop-down menu shows you are presently in hierarchical view. This view shows the inheritance relationship between styles. Consequently, you can’t mask out styles lest the view becomes completely inconsistent.

This menu has other choices which could interest you: Applied styles listing only the styles used in the document, Custom styles listing your custom styles, applied or not.

This gives you access only to paragraph styles because Word has no other categories. Writer provides a richer styling repertoire. Everything beyond paragraph style appears as direct formatting in a converted .odt document.

1 Like

Thank you for the help!