Cannot open --base. Crashes all the time

LibreOffice 7.6.7.2 60(Build:2)
Linux 6.9.9 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Fri, 12 Jul 2024 00:06:53 +0000 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Base only works up to saving the file after the initial wizard, and then crash every time.

libreoffice --base will show the initial wizard to create a new database. I create a new FireBase (since i don’t have a jdk). After the file is created it crashes.

Absolutely nothing left on the console besides:

free(): double free detected in tcache 2

if I start with --safe-mode then I don’t have the firebase option and it will crash with the expected “javaldx: Could not find a Java Runtime Environment!” if I try to use HSQLDB.

How can I get more information why it crashes? Or make it not crash :slight_smile:

In case you try to use HSQLDB, you have to go to
that place and download jre 586 for 32 bit or 64 for 64 bit. Suggest you to install both and then remove the one not needed by your software.

As you are on some linux, the first step would be to find out, what you actually have.

• A classic installed LibreOffice maintained by your distribution and updated via apt/rpm-paket-manager.
  • Ubuntu uses snap, so LibreOffice would be part of a container.
  • Some distributions also use AppImage or Flatpack
  • There are downloadable versions by TDF and also a ppa to be used with apt.

Problems can arise, if maintainers leave out some parts (a typical example is HSQLDB, as it needs java), wich they don’t think necessary… But with Linux 6.9.9 we have not enough informations to start even guessing…

(cannot reply to both messages, but this tries to answers them all)

I have libreoffice-still-7.6.7-1 from archlinux.

I do not wish to use HSQLDB, just pointed out that starting with --safe-mode that is the only option available, which obviously do not work (and is not what i wanted to use anyway)

is there something like a verbose or debug option?

tcache is glibc specific (thread local cache). Sounds like your problem might be specific to your ArchLinux release, or the way LO was built for that OS. I’ve never seen that error on any flavour of *buntu I’ve ever used, nor on any mac OS, and if @RobertG isn’t seeing it on SuseLinux, it’s a pretty strong hint that it isn’t a general problem.

For debugging, you would need the corresponding symbols for your version of LO, and then a debugging session.

I also seem to remember that you can get some more output from the terminal with some modification of the soffice startup script, but unfortunately don’t remember what that modification is.

@gcb1 : I would try this: Open LO and go to Tools → Options → LibreOffice → Advanced.
Set Optional Features → Enable experimental Features.
We have set creating a Firebird database to an experimental feature.
FirebirdDB.odb (1.8 KB)
This is an empty database, which has been created this way.
After the database has been created experimental features aren’t needed for Firebird any more, so you could use this empty file.

This might happen in special Linux packages: OpenSUSE doesn’t support Firebird at all. You can’t create a Firebird database there and you can’t use it. You have to switch to original packages from LO to use Firebird.

Never seen such an error, but I haven’t tested without working Java here.

Already had this on by default.

this is almost the same size of the file my system creates before crashing. but diff say they are different. There’s some diff near what I assume to be the header which may be important?

1c1
< 0000000 4b50 0403 0014 0800 0000 88ca 58f4 9ff8
---
> 0000000 4b50 0403 0014 0800 0000 8cf8 58f4 9ff8

rest is between 0000150 and 0000740

If i try libreoffice --base yourfile.odb it crashes just the same.

Arch packages deviate very little from upstream. At most the “-x” in the version means backported patches from upstream next version.

PKGBUILD · main · Arch Linux / Packaging / Packages / libreoffice-still · GitLab (i see it removes a lot of debug symbols :frowning:

Of relevance here I see one backport CORE-5908 about Firebird code firebird-icu70.patch · main · Arch Linux / Packaging / Packages / libreoffice-still · GitLab

anyone remember anything about this? i couldn’t search anything related to the startup script.

looking at the script I see that it is either no debug/verbose or full on gdb/valgrind…

debug options: --record, --backtrace, --strace and --valgrind
are mentioned in help:
https://help.libreoffice.org/latest/en-US/text/shared/guide/start_parameters.html

searching some archlinux specific forums i got that SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=qt6 libreoffice --base “fixes” it.

I can’t see what is the “default” plugin it is using based on the build information above. I’m assuming it is whatever upstream code uses as default if that env is not set.

For default plugin:
gen → best choice to get anything working
gtk3 → Gnome
kf5 → KDE 5 (will be shown with Help → About LibreOffice in version information here)

Version: 25.2.0.0.alpha0+ (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 553c128e3fdc4b9612c1150b30d7b89df2ae6fdd
CPU threads: 6; OS: Linux 6.4; UI render: default; VCL: kf5 (cairo+xcb)
Locale: de-DE (de_DE.UTF-8); UI: en-US
Calc: threaded

Never heard about another current plugin.

If I use “gen” i get the same crash, but now a crash dialog in what looks like default java/motif theme.

SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=gen libreoffice --base /home/gcb/Downloads/FirebirdDB.odb

kf5, crashes.
gtk3, crashes (expected, i don’t have gtk libs).
qt5 works. (i don’t have qt5 libs either, so can’t explain).
qt6 works.