Cannot remove protection from word document

When trying to remove protection from a word document we receive invalid password

The file was created and password protected in microsoft word. The file is a .doc. I open with writer, click on edit, enter the password and it says password incorrect, cannot be modified. I am using 3.6.1.2

Please accept our sincere condolences and grieve with you. :frowning: Did you mean Writer?.. or indeed the Word? This file has been created in which version of the program? And - sorry for the stupid question, but I had to ask - are you sure that you enter the correct password? And CapsLock is Off?

Protected file have two passwords: first - to open, second - to change. Do you have both passwords?

The file was created and password protected in microsoft word. The file is a .doc. I open with writer, click on edit, enter the password and it says password incorrect, cannot be modified. I am using 3.6.1.2

Oh, I see what you mean! I tried to create a very hard protected document in Word and saw these messages when I opened it in LibO. But tell me, you can open the document as read-only to see its contents? Or you can’t even that?

If you can open the document as read-only then you have two workarounds: 1) select all and copy-paste to new document or 2) save as ods with UNCHECKED “Save with password” in SaveAs dialog

Thanks for the reply. Yes it opens as read only.

It’s good… And so? What about workarounds?

They worked

@JohnSUN – Please, could you post your workarounds as an answer. (So we can mark it as “correct”.)

OK. Done

Thanks, moderators will be able to accept this answer after 2013-02-06. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the “ods” → “odt”! It was unfortunate misprint

If you can open the document as read-only then you have two workarounds:

1. select all and copy-paste to new document

or

1. save as odt with UNCHECKED “Save with password” in SaveAs dialog

SaveAsODF