can't enter a mac address into a cell!

I keep a record of the mac addresses on my home network in a spreadsheet. But if I enter a mac address containing :cd: I get a small symbol (a disk like a small dvd) instead. Both colons are needed to get the effect. This doesn’t seem to be a recognised way of entering symbols, though I stand to be corrected. Can it be turned off?

Stuart

Version: 6.4.6.2
Build ID: 1:6.4.6-0ubuntu0.20.04.1
CPU threads: 4; OS: Linux 5.4; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3;
Locale: en-GB (en_GB.UTF-8); UI-Language: en-GB
Calc: threaded

But if I enter a mac address containing :cd: I get a small symbol (a disk like a small dvd) instead.

It is an off-topic, just an observation that it’s now likely that people even don’t remember there was something called CD (and describe the result as “small dvd”, not “small cd”), and thus the replacement is likely obsolete by now…

Thanks for all the help! It didn’t occur to me that anyone would want a cd symbol or that was what it was meant to be, though I remember them being introduced in about 1980 or so. And I have learned that you can do substitutions in this way.

Hello,

this is AutoCorrect - your choices are:

1) Disable use of replacement table

Tools -> AutorCorrect Options... -> Tab: Options -> Option: [ ] Use replacement table

2) Remove the entry from replacement table

• Tools -> AutorCorrect Options... -> Tab: Replace
  • Type :cd: into Replace field (:cd: should get selected in the pane below)
  • Click Delete button.

3) Undo autocorrection using CTRL+Z

Pressing shortcut CTRL+Z immeadiately after the autocorrected sequence has turned to its repleacment, will undo the replacement.

Hope that helps.

I can’t reproduce it. This replacement option seems to be specific to your language. So, one more solution:

4) For cells with MAC addresses, set the language to none (create a style)

Is the language setting “For All Text” actually applicable per cell? I cannot confirm. It’s per document for me.
(The language set under Format Cells...>>Numbers neither has a “none” option, nor does it influence the replacement.)

What’s important here is not the language under “Numbers”, but under “Font”

Thanks.
I very rarely use AutoCorrect, and should not have posted therefore here.
However, the answer got a clarification this way.,