Can't get Libreoffice to keep English setting in Spelling:[none]

Everytime I use LibreOffice 7.1.1.2 (x64) Writer will not spell check. When I go to Tools → Spelling I am told my Text language: is [None]. This happens every time even though I change it to English over and over again. Help I really need my spell checker! I did turn Tools → Automatic Spell Checker on (I think).

Thanks in advance for telling me how to fix this.

…Scott

Have you set the default language for documents to a language with spell check? In Tools > Options > Language settings > Language make sure that you select a language with a green ABC icon.

Otherwise, have you set your own default template to load rather than default LO one? In File > Templates > Manage templates see if there is a template set as default (it will have a green tick next to it), you can right-click it and select Reset default to stop it being the default, or you could select Edit to assign a language to it.
Cheers, Al

Make sure you have spell-checker (package hunspell) and (English) dictionaries installed.

Thanks everyone for helping me, BUT it does not work…
I went to my templates and changed the Default under Tools–>Options–>Languages and under Default Languages for Documents I get German (Germany) every time.
I have changed this to English USA many times and on the first change when I click Apply it goes back to German, on the second try it stays English USA and let’s me hit Apply a bunch of times and the Click OK. Saved it as my checked default template and then – BOOM it’s German again. Nothing I seem to try takes (and keeps) my Default Language for Documents Western: setting from being German (German).
Where is this setting really being stored in a configuration file? I want to really force it to English USA?
Thanks again for any help you can throw my way
…sure wish I knew German :sunglasses:
I’m just a dumb Texan that can’t spell and I really need my spell checker to work
This dawg won’t hunt

I tried to file a bug report, but I never get to the “Report a bug” page.
Computers were easier with VMS.

Open one of your templates for editing.
Change the language as suggested by @EarnestAl BUT check also “For current document only”.
Save your template and test a new document from that template.

GREAT!
That worked, the new Text Document is in English!!!

Of course not being English the spell checker will not work (run?)

Thank you!