Can't get scalable matrices i Math to work

I just started using LibreOffice Math 6.4.3, but I can’t get the scalable matrices to work as they should. According to the 6.4 math user guide, the entries in the matrix are separated by #, while rows are separated by ##. However, both of these just appear as “upside-down question marks” when I type them, and the rows aren’t separated. Any ideas on how to fix this?

The question marker indicates that you didn’t write a matrix element yet. The code

matrix{ a # b # c # d ## e # f # g # h}

will work, but if you don’t write any of the a, b, c, etc you’ll get the question mark(s). If you need one cell to be empty, write two double quotes there:

matrix{ a # "" # c # d ## e # f # g # h}

Thanks for your answer. It seems I get the question marks even when writing the matrix elements. The command that I’ve written is left lline 1 # 2 # 3 ## 4 # 5 # 6 right rline , but it turns up as a single bracketed line with question marks between the elements.

You need to explicitly indicate that you want a matrix by using the matrix{ } instruction. Try with

left lline matrix { 1 # 2 # 3 ## 4 # 5 # 6 } right rline

That did the trick. Thank you!

@yoghurtoth - please mark the answer as correct by clicking the check mark (:heavy_check_mark:) next to the answer, since it solves your issue.