Can't install Mendeley plugin

Hi everyone,

Could anyone help me with the stupid problem: I can’t install the plugin cause I don’t have the option “Install LibreOffice plugin” in my Mendeley Desktop.
According to this instruction (https://community.mendeley.com/guides/using-citation-editor/01-installing-citation-plugin) I should see the option “Install LibreOffice Plugin”, but I have only the three: Invite Colleagues, Install Web Importer, Check for duplicates… and no more. Seems, my Mendeley don’t know that I have LibreOffice on my laptop. How to let them know about each other? I’m not sure, but on the basis of overall stability of LibreOffice I think that the problem connected to the software. Seems, Mendeley works well…
Both the software is up to date:
Mendeley Desktop 1.17.6
LibreOffice Vanilla Version: 5.2.3.5
macOS Sierra 10.12.2

Please, send me in proper direction (not to hell, please :slight_smile: with my attempts to fix the problem.

I had a same issue. I am using Linux mint. What I did is, I uninstalled the software I downloaded from software manager. And I used the following link to download package directly from the Mendely website.
https://www.mendeley.com/download-mendeley-desktop-legacy/linux
The generic version was not working as well So I downloaded the “Download for Ubuntu and Kubuntu 16.04 LTS, 17.04 and Debian Stretch 9” one.
As Linux mint is also based on deb so it should work. When you install, A pop up appears to install LibreOffice plugins. Install that and reopen libre writer. It was automatically showing a new bar in that.

well, I solved the problem by installing MS Office. There was no any problem with Mendeley plugin installation once MS Word been installed.

Thank’s! )

problem solved as below:

• open LibreOffice Writer
  • Choose Tools\Extension Manager\Add
  • Browse to: C:\Program Files (x86)\Mendeley Desktop\openOfficePlugin
  • Choose the plugin in the browsing folder and open
    Hope it helps

Thanks! this solved it for me!

I tried this solution and it did not work.
I still only have the MS Word plugin appearing under the web importer.
Any clues?

Worked for me as well - thanks

Thanks, it worked for me. LibreOffice 6.0.1.1 (x64), Mendeley Desktop 1.17.13.

Hi Xavier. I had the same problem like yours. I have been solved using the solution given by SamAus:
open LibreOffice Writer - Choose Tools\Extension Manager\Add - Browse to: C:\Program Files (x86)\Mendeley

I iadded the Mendeley extensions, and despite still only appearing in the Mendeley the MS Word plugin appearing, in the Libre Office I could insert references. Dont worry if does not appear LibreOffice in the Mendeley. The citation runs anyway…

I had this problem 'cause I used the Linux Mint App manager to install Mendeley.
Once I downloaded it directly from Mendeley website and installed through the Terminal, it worked properly.

Had the same problem on linux mint (debian), maybe because I got mendeley from app manager. I searched the files of the computer for “plugininstall-linux-libreoffice.html” that I found there : /var/lib/flatpak/app/com.elsevier.MendeleyDesktop/current/37a83c5ef029038cd8dc8cbc3e865aadd329c66dd414695c772db10ca27a1d53/files/extra/share/mendeleydesktop/webContent/plugininstall-Linux-LibreOffice.html

Then, from libre office → tools\extension manager\add I could get the file and install it.

I fall under this category but whenever I try adding the plugin I get an error message (attached).

Any ideas please?

1 Like

i have been having a very simular if not identical error message
error 1
when i click ok and then restart libre writer it does not change any thing, and its the same when i restart the computer and then open libre writer
and when i go from the Mendeley side i get another one
so i was wounding if you had found a solution just in case it works for me too

error 2

i have now got a different
error 3
version of Libreoffice (5.7) and i am getting the same message as you

For linux mint
oppen libreoffice writer, tools, extension manager, and add the plugin “Mendeley-1.19.8.oxt” in the folder
/var/lib/flatpak/app/com.elsevier.MendeleyDesktop/current/2fb919344eb24d71714cf656b00ba5aa2e955a7ba12f00e2ec7afd623ec13b36/files/extra/share/mendeleydesktop/openOfficePlugin

For linux mint
oppen libreoffice writer, tools, extension manager, and add the plugin “Mendeley-1.19.8.oxt” in the folder
/var/lib/flatpak/app/com.elsevier.MendeleyDesktop/current/2fb919344eb24d71714cf656b00ba5aa2e955a7ba12f00e2ec7afd623ec13b36/files/extra/share/mendeleydesktop/openOfficePlugin

1 Like