Cant LO print multiple copies WITHOUT sending pages all over again?

Cant LO print multiple copies WITHOUT sending pages all over again?

Im printing labels on a label printer.

When printing multiple copies LO sends the page multiple times to the printer which makes it UNUSABLE
for the purpose - the printing is 20-50 TIMES slower!

Why it doesnt send page once and a number of copies?

Is there a way to make it do so?

Thanks

Are you asking about not being able to set the number of copies to print, or about the amount of time waiting between printed pages??

The amount of time spent preparing a page for printing depends mostly on your printer. Printing plain, unadorned text takes little time, but printing a complex page with lots of formatting or layout control (like a page of mailing labels) often takes more time, depending on your printer and how much memory is installed.

Say what?
10 chars

Oh, man!?

When you print 1 page, LO sends 1 page to the printer.

When you print 22 pages, LO sends 22 pages to the printer instead of 1 page and only a number 22 which tells pthe printer to print the page 22 times.

Do you understand now?

Youre theorizing, the printer has a command which tells it to repeat the page it received from computer said number of times.
LO is using this command, it is in a stream of data sent to the printer, BUT IT IS SET TO 1.
So, if one wants to print 22 copies, instead of sending ONE page followed with a command to print it 22 times, LO sends 22 times said page followed by command to print it 1 time!

Do you understand now?

Well, I understand that you are frustrated and possibly angry.

My computer sends one copy to the printer, and the printer will print 22 copies, if that is what I asked for. Perhaps you should check your printer, or the printer setup. I might also help if you told us which version of LO you are using and exactly what printer you are using.

Also please keep in mind that we are all just other users here, just trying to help.

Man, have you even read what I wrote?

Again:
“Youre theorizing, the printer has a command which tells it to repeat the page it received from computer said number of times.
LO is using this command, it is in a stream of data sent to the printer, BUT IT IS SET TO 1.
So, if one wants to print 22 copies, instead of sending ONE page followed with a command to print it 22 times, LO sends 22 times said page followed by command to print it 1 time!”

LO version is last stable - 7462, but that wont help.

"My computer sends one copy to the printer, and the printer will print 22 copies, if that is what I asked for. "

I could ask you how you know that, but I will cut the chase: no, it does not!
LO does exactly what I wrote: sends the page multiple times instead sending the page and the number of wanted copies.

Perhaps you should file a bug report. This forum is for users, not bug reports.

By the way, welcome to the community.

@ondelibre
Not certain what I am missing. For a test (Ubuntu 22.04 w lo v7.5.1.2) had 7 page 1100+ word & images document. two different sets one with collate on & one off and different number of copies - 72 & 412. Both queued to printer in a blink of the eye and shows:

Now this, to me, looks as if the number of copies was sent and not the same document multiple times. Am I missing something?

1 Like

I guess you are on Linux and your printer has a printer driver limitation so it will only do one copy unless you tick Create separate print jobs for collated output in the Writer Print dialogue. As they are labels does it matter if they are not collated? In that case untick the option control Collate

Edit your question to add details asked for otherwise it is just a guessing game, Ask/Guide - How to use the Ask site - The Document Foundation Wiki

Very many words later by @ondelibre, and no specific repro steps.
But generally labels are a kind of mail merge document, intended to use with database fields. In this case, as opposed to the “number of copies” set in print dialog, each page is a separate document.

Are you blind or just malicious?
The sentence you quoted is SECOND one in my message, and the first one is just repeated title of topic!

You need specific repro steps for that?
Really?

Here: TYPE THE NUMBER OF COPIES AND PRESS PRINT.
That wasnt clear from the beginning?

No, OF COURSE, they are NOT - when you print declarations, bar-codes, etc. its hunderds of copies of the same label!
Whats the point in stating obviously wrong?

Yes really. Because, if you aren’t blind, your findings are not reproduced by others. And if you aren’t malicious, coming to a site and starting blaming others right and left from the very first response, you’d understand that providing steps is constructive, even if you believe your case is “obvious”.

Cant - its greyed out.
And its WIndows.

Why are you writing about ASKED DETAILS when even you didnt ask for them?

Wasnt this detailed enough for you:

“LO is using this command, it is in a stream of data sent to the printer, BUT IT IS SET TO 1.
So, if one wants to print 22 copies, instead of sending ONE page followed with a command to print it 22 times, LO sends 22 times said page followed by command to print it 1 time!””
?

Reproduced by OTHERS?
No, they are not reproduced by others and NOT EVEN BY ONE!

I EXAMINED THE STREAM GOING TO THE PRINTER and posted EXACTLY WHATS GOING ON and Ratslinger is measuring by “blink of an eye”!?
I am not blaming anybody, let alone left and right, its just you are clueless about the topic and shouldnt have wasted our time writing irrelevant stuff.

To reiterate what @Ratslinger already told, this time on Windows.

Setting up the number of copies in the Print dialog:

produces the print job with just one copy, not same pages sent as new pages:

“Are you blind or just malicious?”
He even shown you the screenshots, where it’s obvious that the number of copies was sent to printer, not physical copies of the data.

which means, that you inspected the communication between the printer driver and the printer, not between LibreOffice and the printer driver. What driver does is outside of LibreOffice.

Obviously, youre missing even the file sizes sent to the printer, let alone the commands in the file(s) I wrote about.
I examined the stream of data sent to the printer and you are measuring by “blink of an eye”?
It “looks” that to you?
Really?

Your (and his) screenshots are irrelevant and ARE NOT PROVING WHAT YOU THINK THEY ARE.
Those are DOCUMENT properties, man. :slight_smile:
Its NOT obvious from Ratslingers screenshots what you say it is - where do you see lentgh of data sent to the printer?

NO, I WROTE THAT TO SHORTEN THE EXPLANATION - I PRINTED TO FILE AND EXAMINED IT.
But, now you are thinking!
Unfortunately, youre thinking against me, now, just try to think the other way. :slight_smile:
You, obviously CANT be sure the problem is not in LO (even if I did examine the stream!!!), but you are writing so.

No. You aren’t thinking. And the “Document properties” dialog title is just what Windows writes in its printer queue job details dialogs, unrelated to the LibreOffice, or any other application that creates the job - just open it, and check.
When you send something to a printer driver several times, the printer driver has no way to know if it’s the same data or not, without complex comparisons; and so, if you sent one page ten times, the printer driver will think it needs to print one copy of a 10-page document. Only when you send 1 page, and tell it print it ten times, the printer driver can show you “10 copies of the same document”.

… and now you need to try to think, what you got. Because “print to file” on Windows means “send the data to the driver, and obtain the resulting stream from the driver, which would otherwise be sent over the wire” - so exactly, again, you inspected the communication between the driver and the printer.

Yes I can. Because, well, I can think, and I can read the code (and I do).