Can't open .docx

Having updated LO to v. 24.2.1.2 (to work with Macbook Air M2), I now can’t open .docx attachments emailed to me via Thunderbird (v. 115.9.0).
Prior to the upgrade, when I right clicked on a .docx document, it opened in LO without problem. But now .docx attachments don’t load up any more.
The only way I found to get around this is to save the attachment, then open it with LO in Finder - cumbersome, but it works.
Any idea how I can open the .docx attachments in LO straight away?
Many thanks.

Always download the attachments before you try to open them.

1 Like

Thank you. It’s not what I want to do, but why?

Because the attached document is the original version. Always better to leave unchanged the original version (it is a “primary backup copy of it”).

1 Like

Point taken, thanks.
In the meantime, does anyone have any idea how I can get LO to act as previously? Or is there a glitch between LO and Thunderbird?

Try to reinstall (downgrade) older Tunderbird and/or older LO versions…

I can open a .docx file on Windows 10 with Thunderbird 115.9.0 version and with LO 7.5.8 version. (The TB gives me two options after clicking on the attachment: Open (with the default LO Writer), or Save…

Maybe you must set the LO as default editor for the OOXML files…

1 Like

Thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunately, the problem has existed with previous versions as well, which is why I updated the the new style version for Macbook Air. But the problem remains.
If you manage to click on a .docx in TB version 115.9.0 in Windows, then maybe it suggests the problem is with Mac? But I’m pretty sure I asked them and they said to contact LO…
I’m afraid I don’t understand the last line. I have set LO v. 24.2.1.2 as the default to open documents, but I’m not sure that’s what you mean.

When you say to a document (by clicking on the file name): “open!”, then

• the operating system will ask you: “Which editor or viewer application with?”
  • or the op.sys will launch the editor/viewer application assigned to the file type (.docx) and the application will open the document without any asking.

Maybe there is not assigned any application to the .docx extension, or maybe there is one, but that is not the LibreOffice.

2 Likes

When I right click on a .odt file and click Open, it opens the document.

My problem is when I receive an email via Thunderbird, if it has an a .docx attachment and I right click the attachment and choose Open, it doesn’t.
It used to open it but it doesn’t any more.

Yes, THAT works for me with LO7.5.8 on Windows:
(Sorry, the language of my system is Hungarian)

1 Like

Have you tried other types of attachments? Can LibreOffice open an .odt file if you send one to yourself. What about attached .pdf ? Just to check, if the problem is only with LO or extend to other software.

1 Like

Ignoring Thunderbird for the moment, if you open the Mac file manager and double click on a .DOCX file, what program does it open with?

1 Like

Yay, I did as you suggested and the .docx opened in TextEdit (by default), which I don’t want. So I changed the default to LO, tested it and now when I open a .docx document it opens in LO. So that’s a success, thank you.
But when I tried to open a docx from a TB attachment, it still doesn’t, so the issue isn’t entirely sorted, even if I feel we’re getting half way there.

Thank you for the suggestion. This is my report after extending the attempts:
Attachments open: odt, ods, pdf - doc, xls open but in read-only mode for some reason
Attachment doesn’t open: docx, whether double click or right click/Open with LO, and although in Get Info it shows to open with LO by default, and all such documents.

In Thunderbird click Tools > Settings > General, under Files & Attachments what have you set for Microsoft Excel Worksheet or any other Excel content type?

Maybe this question helps Thunderbird won't open .doc or .docx attachments unless I restart in safe mode. This just started happening one day... and now it's all the time. Fix? | Thunderbird Support Forum | Mozilla Support

1 Like

That looked very hopeful at first read, thank you. I’ve just checked, but both MS Word and Excel are set to: ‘Use LO v. 24.2.1.2 (default)’, which is correct. But it doesn’t.
Thank you also for the extra link. Unfortunately haven’t found anything which applies.