can't open lotus lwp file with current Libre V5.4.4.2 (x64)

have been opening and re-saving old Lotus Lwp files previously with Libre, but after a recent update I can’t open them, it complains with “General Error, General input/output error”

Cheers Ken

Is this Windows 10? If so, are you also having issues with other LO documents? If you are not having issues with other LO files, are the Lotus files perhaps in a separate directory from your LO files?

Windows Defender may be causing problems.

@robleyd, you’re not being helpful.

@KiloTango, I’m having the same issue too.

… as in: “Some question was asked; and you must never try to clarify anything ambiguous, nor suggest ways of investigation, because that is not what @Prince considers helpful! The only type of thing you are entitled to, is magically guessing everything missing in the original question, and providing the complete solution from the let go!”

(Sorry, couldn’t resist - even though I see it’s old.)

2 Likes

It’s a bug. And it has has been reported at https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=123815.

According to it, the fix “will be available in 6.2.3”. (Current release is 6.2.2.)

In future, if you encounter bugs, please report at https://bugs.documentfoundation.org. Thanks.

I have changed from PC to Mac and lost the use of my Lotus suite. I have gone through all my .lwp files and changed the extension to .odt. Doing this, all my formerly .lwp files open as Libre Office .odt files

Actually the extension is usually used by your OS to find the default handler for this files. This is LibreOffice for .odt on your computer. If one needs this approach, I recommend .lwp.odt. as extension.
LibreOffice will open the file, but if you don’t save the file stays internally in Lotus format. If you save you will usually overwrite the “original”. Only the date of the file can be used as hint, what it may contain…
I’d recommend to keep backups of the original .lwp
I guess you could have opened the files from LibreOffices File menu, without changing the extension, by setting the import-filter there.