Can't Save Documents (Error: file does not exist – duh ;)

Hello,

I’ve been using Libre Office the past few years and have been a happy user :slight_smile:

A while ago, I started getting multiple error messages upon trying to save a new file (no matter if Writer, Impress etc.) in my home directory or anywhere on the system:

1. Error saving the document “Untitled 1”: [path to file if it would’ve been saved] doesn’t exist.
    [I press OK]
  2. [same error message again]
    [I press OK]
  3. Error saving the document “Untitled 1”: write error. The file could not be written.

I’ve translated these error messages into English (my LO installation is set to German).

I used to restart my system, and it’d work again after that (sometimes two restarts were necessary). Now, however, after upgrading to Linux Mint 21, this has stopped working.

I’ve experimented a bit with safe mode to diagnose the issue. On the first try, I selected the option to reset to factory settings and clear UI customizations and the entire user profile. In this instance, everything worked perfectly. Even after starting LO normally, saving documents was still functional.
Of course, that would’ve been too easy a solution, because after a system restart, the error reappeared – and safe mode doesn’t help now either. :frowning:

In case you’d like to take a look at my user profile, I’ve exported it via the safe mode “advanced” settings. Here it is (the file format wasn’t accepted by the forum).

Any ideas? I’ve tried starting Libre Office Writer via the command line to get logs (this method scared me off), but it isn’t very chatty. Can I enable a verbose option or something similar?

Thank you for making the LO community awesome!

System info:
Version: 7.3.7.2 / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 30(Build:2)
CPU threads: 12; OS: unknown; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3
Locale: de-DE (de_DE.UTF-8); UI: de-DE
Ubuntu package version: 1:7.3.7-0ubuntu0.22.04.2
Calc : threaded

1 Like

Same here, I have the same exact problem using Arch Linux as a distribution, and french as locale.

Very similar problem. I’m using
LO version 7.6.2.1
on a
MacBook Air running on OS Sonoma 14.5.

I create a new LibreOffice Writer document, enter some text (or, sometimes, paste text in from an internet source), write or copy-paste a name for the file. Depending on what file folder I decide to put the new file in, either the warning about ‘path to file does not exist’ pops up immediately after I choose a folder in which to put the new document, OR such a warning pops up after I click the “Save” button.

Thank you.

Hi @Catlike . This thread is for Ubuntu not Mac. It would have been better to open your own question as any fix won’t be relevant to the original poster.

Have you given LibreOffice full disc access in Mac preferences?

Just did it. Thank you for the advice. I apologize for mis-filing my inquiry.