Can't save documents

LibreOffice newbee here.

I recently installed LibreOffice. My intention is to convert my Apache OpenOffice v4.1 spreadsheets over to LO since AOO is apparently not going be supported anymore.

LO opens the AOO spreadsheets. It allows me to manipulate text and numbers. The formulas appear to be working correctly.

However I can not save the newly modified spreadsheet in LO - either as a “Save”, “Save As” or “Export”. In all the cases I get the following error:

Error saving the document [xxxxxx]

General Error

General input/output error

File permissions indicate my documents are set for “Read and Write”

LibreOffice v: 6.1.3

Recent Java Runtime Environment (are-8u192) also installed.

MacOS High Sierra v: 10.13.6

MacBook Pro (Early 2013)

Suggestions for getting me on the right track?

Can you at least save spreadsheets that you have opened but not modified?

No I can’t.

I even tried opening the spreadsheet in both AOO and LO. Then opening a New LO blank spreadsheet. Then copying and pasting from the first to the blank second. Same error.

New clue - Seems to work ok with saving text (.rtf) documents. Maybe it is really something IRT MacOS Settings or an Extension I need to install?

I suggest reset your user profile. A description of how this is done can be found here. Save your old user profile with a different name beforehand.

Likely solved. I restarted LO in Safe Mode and it seemed to be working ok.
I went to “Configure” and disabled hardware acceleration. That didn’t help.
I then went to “Reset to factory settings” and clicked both options.
It now seems to be working as expected. I will experiment the next few days.
Thanks for help!

@Hrbrgr : Am I correct in thinking that “Reset to factory settings” includes (among many other things) a reset of the user profile??

Yes. At least that’s how I interpreted the Safe Mode check box titled “Reset entire user profile”.
In my particular instance, with a new installation, I had no documents saved in LO. So I wasn’t concerned about saving my old user profile as suggested above. So I don’t know if checking that box, or checking the “Reset settings and user interface modifications” actually resolved my problem since I checked both.

Saving the “old” user profile also includes other personalization settings in addition to displaying documents at startup.