Capabilities of Visual Basic Base (Version: 6.4.3.2)

Hey everyone.

I have a fun time using LO Base, but I haven’t been able to find much info on VB for Base. I found some codes such as opening another form, but is LO Base capable of, for example, producing a filtered report, printing and sending it, with just one button in a form?

I use Version: 6.4.3.2

Also, if anybody knows a place where there is a lot of info about VB progamming in Base, I’d really appreciate that.

Hello,

Not certain you actually mean VB (as in Visual Basic) or simply macro coding in Base - quite different.

VB in LO is limited. However for Base there is Access2Base. It is included with base and reference is here → Access2Base.

When I left M$ and Access years ago, took a look at Access2Base & chose rather to learn (to a small part at least) the API instead. For more on that see this post → To learn LibreOffice Base are there introductions or tutorials?. It includes links to many documents on macros and some utilities.

There are many examples for Base macros here and through an internet search. As for Access2Base have not seen a lot (aside from the link - many samples there) but must also state I do not look for them either.

Edit:

Forgot to answer the question noted:

…is LO Base capable of, for example, producing a filtered report, printing and sending it, with just one button in a form?

It would take some effort coding macros, and depending upon what is meant by ‘sending it’, don’t see why it could not be done. There are existing pieces for this already in other posts such as:

base bypass report print preview - note comment there also

and:

Base: Print Button - has ‘filtered’ print selection

There are many others available using the search bar.

Also, for possible email macro, see this post → Sending current document as email pdf from Basic.

@Ratslinger Sorry for the late reply: thanks for the info. I forgot that there was that site called “Access2Base”. But thanks a lot for providing other links.

Aah right. I thought macro coding and VB were the same. What’s the difference between them? I just thought macros were the Sub - End Sub parts in VB.

@ASKLOguitarist,

To clear things a bit, they are both macro coding. However there are many differences between the two (for one there have been no updates in Star Basic for decades) and LO relies heavily upon the uno Api.