Caption in Writer, it stays locked within the image and it may bug

Hello, using LibreOffice 6.3.0.4. When inserting an image in Writer and putting on a caption, it stays locked within the image. When moving the image, it’s very difficult to move the caption too, and without protecting the position from the image’s property, it may moves itself away when re-opening the document, causing various harassments when someone use Writer for work.

So my request is if it’s possible making it like M$ Word, so that you can insert a caption not linked to the figure, but still attached to it.

ps: i’d like something like it’s already done for tabs (always in Writer), because it creates the text, but it’s not linked within it, but created like a text, so it doesn’t influence the tab’s property

forgot to mention I’m using docx format for compatibility purposes

If you have a change / enhancement request, then you need to do that in Bugzilla. This site is for users having questions answered by other users of LibreOffice.

I know that thank you, but before, I asked here to see if someone had a solution or workaround first

But you did not ask a specific question - anyway, my comment could not be completed due to some inteference. I’d like to add: I’m not sure, whether you can achieve your desired behavior, if you protect the content of the frame containing the caption by ticking Right click -> Properties -> Tab: Options -> Cat: Protect -> Option: Contents. This prevents the image be moved within the frame (Watch the 2 objects(image and frame), which can be selected)

@anon73440385 pointed out a very important point: when you add a caption to a picture, this creates a surrounding frame containing text (the caption) and the image. If you move the frame, everything is moved and relative positioning of caption and image is kept. Of course, if you move only the picture, you mess everything. IMHO, what you request is already implemented. You only have to be careful enough to select the outer frame.

Ok everyone, little (and probably final) update on this thread. I “solved” my problem. Everytime I update my works in docx format, all the images and caption floated everywhere on their respective pages, and I was very angry. But I found a solution (hopefully for now):

1- create a 1x1 tab

2 put image in the tab moving on it

3 create caption from tab with figure label

In this way, caption is created like in Word (way that I love), away from the figure, and not all in a square, so there can’t be any problems when closing and re-opening the document

@anon73440385 you’re right, but it seems I’m unlucky. I can protect image and caption with all options (position, size, content), but when I re-open it, it still floates away. The one above is my current solution

OK - but you need to find the reason for not getting a satisfying answer earlier in your own question. Your comment about your solution mentions " … in docx format" for the very first time (and this seems to be an important information about were your real problem is).

You know what, you’re right. Managing different problems, I forgot to add it here