Cell indent changes for no apparent reason

I save my personal finance spreadsheet with 3 sheets using LibreOffice Calc and invariably roughly 8 hours later, the formatting alignment in certain columns has number signs apparently indicating the data formatting for alignment has changed. Why would it change?

Do you mean by this question that you see ####### in some columns?

Yes, that’s right: #######

It appears to be a bug. Is your spreadsheet originally an XLSX document?

https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=130104

Hello,

this just means that the numbers are too wide to fit into the column width. So you have two choices:

1. Change the column width to a greater value - see also LibreOffice Help - Column width
    — or —
  2. Change the format to have a lower number of decimal places - see also LibreOffice Help - Format Numbers

Hope that helps.

If the answer helped you to solve your problem, please click the check mark (:heavy_check_mark:) next to the answer.

I am confident that there is fitness to your answer, but in the instance of my particular problem with my LibreOffice Calc spreadsheet, the indent number amount in the alignment format actually changes over some period of time, say 4 or 5 hours. The cell format alignment is at set at Left 15 and it and it changes to Left 45.

By default, there is not shortcut keys to Increase indent; also, the Increase indent button is not visible in Calc (and pressing it three times unintentionally…?).

All of the preset Cell Styles has indent set to 0.

Conditional formating?

There are a few open bugs concerning indentation in Calc. You may check if one is related to your issue: https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/buglist.cgi?component=Calc&query_format=advanced&resolution=---&short_desc=Indent&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr
You can also file a bug report yourself.
I personally never understood the rationale for such a feature in Calc, and assumed it only was implemented to get “better compatibility” with the spreadsheet software by hostile commercial competitors.
@rderoos:
Are there cases where the issue occurred without a save/open cycle?
Do you save your documents to files in alien/hostile “formats”?
Can you point out to me the rationale I missed?

I have the same problem as @rderoos, and the bug list that @Lupp found does not cover this issue.

I don’t know about the OP, but I am not conditionally formatting and not clicking the “increase indent” button inadvertently.

The automatic increase in indent is occurring periodically, but I cannot tell whether or not it is occurring every time I open the document, nor whether it changes when I open the document, then close it without editing it.

In my case, the last time I edited my document was 29 April 2021. One cell was indented 34 points (not my choice). I closed the document and reopened it, and now that same cell is indented 59 points. It appears as though when I make no changes, the indent remains static, but when I change the document, the indent increases, even if the change was outside the affected cell.

I just tested this by adding text to a cell other than the cell I’m examining, saving the document, and reopening it. Now the indent is 89 points.

I was able to find this bug report: https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=130104, which deals with sheets created with Excel, but edited in LibreOffice. I don’t know whether the OP’s sheet was created as an XLSX document, but that might be part of the issue.